Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: upgraded tranny

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    I went to speed factorys website. It says 3850 for the full gear set . Is that what u paid? They also offer just the 3rd and 4th gears. Would it be possible to just run that and keep 1st and 2nd stock? Or is that just a bad idea ?
    its possible, but why would you want to do that??? 1st and 2nd and used and go through just as much torture and abuse as 3rd and 4th if not more, depending on if you launch etc. plus it depends on how much power you are making. whatever is your weakest link is going to break, so if you replace just 3rd and 4th then you can almost be guaranteed that your 1st and 2nd will break. if you are making any serious power you are really going to want to replace 1-4 PLUS your final drive. there is another customer @ Jotech Motorsports making 600whp and his final drive just broke on the dyno the other day.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lbk02si View Post
    its possible, but why would you want to do that??? 1st and 2nd and used and go through just as much torture and abuse as 3rd and 4th if not more, depending on if you launch etc. plus it depends on how much power you are making. whatever is your weakest link is going to break, so if you replace just 3rd and 4th then you can almost be guaranteed that your 1st and 2nd will break. if you are making any serious power you are really going to want to replace 1-4 PLUS your final drive. there is another customer @ Jotech Motorsports making 600whp and his final drive just broke on the dyno the other day.
    I'm not making alot of power. I'm at 350whp 327 ft tq. And i dont launch my car. I usually have my fun in 3rd and 4th. That's wuy I'm wondering if I could get away with it. I might just get a rebuilt tran from synchrotec. those gears arw so pricey

I'm not making alot of power. I'm at 350whp 327 ft tq. And i dont launch my car. I usually have my fun in 3rd and 4th. That's wuy I'm wondering if I could get away with it. I might just get a rebuilt tran from synchrotec. those gears arw so pricey
    The question of if you could "get away with it" is always a dangerous one. The agreed upon power level of 400 whp where the stock tranny starts failing isn't that much above what you are making. That's a tough question, Im really not sure though. Maybe one of the other guys with more tranny experience than me will chime in.

Whoa holy hell. I saw those gears on k20a. There not recomended for driving on the street. And that's waaaayyyyy out of my price range ...
    I know you don't plan on spending that much on some gears, but just to be clear, it is streetable. PPG even has a youtube vid saying that it's ok for street driving. Also, I've had the dogbox(1-4 straight cut) without any issues with the PPG components. If you can afford it, it's well worth it.

For that price it better be worth it lol.

So I finally got a video of what my trans sounds like. Wait towards the end when I put it in 4th

I emailed Dave at Synchrotec he said he can get the wpc treatment for my gears which will strengthen them. He provied this link. Seems sweet
    http://www.wpctreatment.com/about.htm

Doesnt the WPC process remove material from the surface? Is it measureable (microns or)?

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    My EP wouldn't stay in third by the time I traded it in for a few pennies in return. I was so sick of that transmission. FWIW that was a Type-S trans and A2.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Quote Originally Posted by Draw7Seven View Post
    My EP wouldn't stay in third by the time I traded it in for a few pennies in return. I was so sick of that transmission. FWIW that was a Type-S trans and A2.
    Sounds like a bent/broken shift fork and/or a missing spring ring. Cheap to fix if you do the labor yourself. Its funny how everyone hates 2nd in the 5 speed trannies... and most hate 3rd in the 6 speed trannies.

I'm Def getting it after reading this
    http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/tu...t/viewall.html

Damn good read. Heres what i was looking for, taken from the article...

"Due to the small mass of the media, the affected zone of WPC treatment is less than 0.001 of an inch, much shallower than shot peening. The WPC media is so fine that the surface dimpling can't be seen with the naked eye and can only be observed with a microscope where the final finish is about the same surface roughness as micro polishing. Due to this smoothness, WPC can be done everywhere and can be applied straight to areas where dimensional control and surface finish is critical, like bearing bores, pistons, cylinder bores, camshafts and cam followers, and seal surfaces. Due to the smallness of the media, WPC, for the most part, doesn't affect the dimensions of a part. Due to the light mass of the media, WPC can also be used for fragile dimensionally critical parts like piston rings and even bearings. Nearly every engine part can benefit from WPC treatment."

Yep. Further down they discuss te benefits of a trans. Synchrotec has been very helpul so far. And for 500 extra dollars to ave my gears treated, is a no brainer

Agreed. Makes me wanna send off my next set of engine internals after balancing.

I wonder if it would benefit a turbo if the impellers and inner housing was done... maybe even the inside of a TB and intake manifold after port matching...

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Agreed. Makes me wanna send off my next set of engine internals after balancing.

I wonder if it would benefit a turbo if the impellers and inner housing was done... maybe even the inside of a TB and intake manifold after port matching...
    Probably best to just have the entire chassis of the car treated, just to be sure.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information