Close

Thread: Optima battery?

Optima battery?

Is there an Optima battery direct replacement for the EP? I had a red top in my previous car that lasted 6 years and was still going strong when I sold the car. I would prefer a red top because I don't need the extra power of a yellow. From what I can find Optima does not make a 51R. Will the 34/78 fit the car without any modification? Or any other red top. Not looking to move the battery to the trunk or anything. Just want a direct replacement. Thanks in advance for any help.

Optima had some issues with the 51r batteries. I know a few members a couple of years ago had issues and went thru 2-3 of them in like a year. I have heard good things about the stinger batteries. Are you looking for a deep cycle battery for accessories or for cranking?

Optima battery?

For cranking mostly. I don't have anything crazy in the car drawing power. And like I said, I have had good experience with the Optimas in the past.

Optima battery?

I was doing some more reading on some other forums and found that a Group 34 may fit. Anybody know how hard this would be?

If you want a good battery for cranking why not just got with a marine battery. I know a few members have marine batteries in their ep's. Also i noticed you live in Georgia i know it doesnt get very cold there. whats the need for a battery with a lot of cca. Do you not the drive the ep that often?

Technically, i don't need it, but I guess I just like to know I have the extra power if needed. I do make some trips to Pittsburgh. My current battery has been in the car for at least the 5+ years I have had the car. I figured it would be a worthy upgrade. I have not read good things about the Optima 51R though. I am wondering if a different group size will fit in the car without much modification. Yes, I am hardheaded.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    Honestly I'd get whatever is good from an Advance or Autozone. You can get plenty of CCA's in a cheaper battery. Optimas and Brailles are best for need-based applications where space or deep cycling are concerns.

But I know how it goes with wanting the name brand. There's just not much reward for it when it comes to batteries in a daily driver.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Where i worked, 70% of returned batteries within the warranty period (2yrs) were Optimas. Personally i would never buy another one. Youre better off going to Walmart and buying a 51r for $70 and calling it a day. All batteries are recycled anyways... theres no such thing as a 'new' automotive battery. Im just sayin, dont fall victim to the hype... ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Where i worked, 70% of returned batteries within the warranty period (2yrs) were Optimas. Personally i would never buy another one. Youre better off going to Walmart and buying a 51r for $70 and calling it a day. All batteries are recycled anyways... theres no such thing as a 'new' automotive battery. Im just sayin, dont fall victim to the hype... ; )
    I agree i have been running a 1000RMS audio system in my car for about 7 years or so and i have been fine using a costco battery or a duralast battery from autozone. I change out my battery every 3-4 years because of my audio system. My sister's accord she can go about 5 years and she has been fine with costco and autozone batteries as well.

Iv had 2 yellow tops in 3 years. not by choice either. Im running a pretty sound system in my ep aswell and while it did well keeping things stable, they just would not hold up to longevity. I regret spending $170+ for a battery. Im running a Duralast Gold now and its performing just as well, and has held up for over 2 years now. Never any issues with cold starts or voltage drops. I would recommend a Ground upgrade for any system over 1000RMS. Dave (Ba82Ep3) knows the battery issued Iv gone through first hand LOL.

Now past experience, I have also had 2 Red Tops (Both at one time) in my Acura back in the days for over 3 years, both did just fine. I was pushing over 10k watts in that thing. Serious competition. Which is what led me to purchase the yellow top in my ep. But never again....

what kind of ground upgrade your talking about? i have a 1000watt system and battery died like twice already for stupid reasons..."light left on"...so i might be getting a new battery, any recommendation?
    \

What I did was made a ground wire kit. Pretty much I took a bunch of 8 gauge power wire and added more ground points off the negative terminal. One to the tranny valve cover and various other points under the hood. Also add another positive lead to the alternator as well. Some people call of the big three upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep View Post
    What I did was made a ground wire kit. Pretty much I took a bunch of 8 gauge power wire and added more ground points off the negative terminal. One to the tranny valve cover and various other points under the hood. Also add another positive lead to the alternator as well. Some people call of the big three upgrade.
    This basically, google "The big 3 upgrade" Basically upgrading all your factory grounds and if you so choose, add additional grounds like stated above.

Grounds are of huge importance. I simplified the power harness so there was only one main positive wire from starter, alternator, to fuse box. As long as i had proper grounding... i knew i wouldnt have any problems... and i dont. ; )

Thread Information