Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help - I need Reflash/Kpro advice quick!

Long story but it goes like this. I have an 05 si - its ecu cannot be relashed. I picked up an earlier ecu and sent it in with my key and immobilizer for a reflash - purchased through Club RSX. I told both Club RSX and Hondata that it was a "donor" ecu. I spent $85. to overnight everything. Hondata calls me this morning and tells me they can't reflash the ecu because its not synched to the key and immobilizer. No one every told me that it had to be running in the car before they
    could reflash it!?

So now they still have my key and immobilizer with the donor ecu so my car is not going anywhere. I borrowed a car for 2 days but may have to rent one tomorrow. I'm waiting for K-series Parts (formerly Club RSX) to return my email but the manager is having a baby today.

I debating to have them go ahead and give me K-Pro which will cost twice what I was planning on spending. I think the Kpro is complete overkill for my lame bolt-ons.

My main question is: how hard would it be to get a basic "reflash" type tune with K-pro? If I go through with this I will definitely not be able to take it to a tuner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I will only have a few hours to decide what to do. Thanks in advance!

Honestly, everyone is just gonna tell you to buy a K-PRO. The software will have some base tunes already on it, one of which is pretty similar to the reflash. Now, I don't have either, but I've been reading about it, so I'm just an armchair expert. Take what I say with a grain of salt and do your own research.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    You can run the stock .kal's that come with the program. They're pretty conservative so you won't be beating up your engine by doing it. Making a KPro act like a reflash is much easier than making a reflash act like a KPro.

It is a lot of money though, if you're not planning on ever needing a customizeable ECU in the future. Do the math on renting the car etc. and figure out how much you're spending each way. If the difference is only like 100 bucks maybe it's worth just having KPro since you can always sell a KPro'd ECU to make some of your money back down the road. It might be worth it even monetarily depending on the difference in downtime (car rentals aren't cheap).

But to answer your primary question, it would be very simple to load a base map into the ECU and run off of it indefinitely. It's kind of a "waste of KPro" in some people's minds but plenty of people do it as they save up for a tune or buy mods that actually require careful tuning.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Re: Help - I need Reflash/Kpro advice quick!

Kpro is worth it imo you can use a base map and run it while you save up for a tune. You can use kpro also to check cel and to delete them and you can read temps, with a little bit of reading youll learn alot about your car and if you learn enough you can do a basic street tune or there are plenty of people online that do online tuning if you give them the correct info theyll tell you what to do and you just follow instructions and its cheaper than going to a professional tune

Cheep3,

Do Kpro! Its more helpful than you know it. When I was on simple bolt on I would simply use the 91 octane base map they had on the ECU to run with 91 octane at my gas stations and then eventually i went turbo and all i did was switch maps to the turboed map. Easy as 1 2 3 man. I didnt even think i had to send my keys in to get kpro, just the ecu. I think there was also a price drop in how much kpro cost and theres also a bigger harddrive on it compared to when I first ordered it. Its a win win situation in my opinion. One of the best mods on my car!!!

Thanks for the input / info guys. It's a hard call. If I get the donor ecu back K-pro'd I'll still have to either get the immobilizer set by the dealer (another $100) or live with the key light on and possibility of easy theft. Does anyone know if a Kpro ecu is ready to go when it arrives or do you still have to download a tune?

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    I thought they put a base map on it based one what you told them you drive, but I could be wrong.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheep3 View Post
    Thanks for the input / info guys. It's a hard call. If I get the donor ecu back K-pro'd I'll still have to either get the immobilizer set by the dealer (another $100) or live with the key light on and possibility of easy theft. Does anyone know if a Kpro ecu is ready to go when it arrives or do you still have to download a tune?
    Just turn the immobilizer off for the time being if you get it. You will have to live with the light... Some people pull the bulb- I personally slapped a little sticker over the flashing key. This isn't the best solution by far but I got tired of the key always catching my eye... especially at night! You can have it flashed later tho. I've read some say it was done for as low as $45.

As for base Kals : you can use stock, low octane, high octane to be safe for now. Very easy to do .Or you can use a shared Kal- tons of people share Kals! They're good for bolt ons as bases. Online / Etunes are cheap enough to clean up or customize to your mods/altitude. You even may find some one to help you out for free!

Get K-pro! you can turn off the immobilizer. The light might bother you for a while, but you can get used to it in time.

Thanks again for all the input. I went ahead and shelled out the extra 400 for the K-pro. I should have the ecu back on Fri... I just downloaded K-manager. Hopefully I can get the basics down and get the car running Fri. for work and Sun. for autocross! Wish me luck...

Kpro is the shit i have it. you will love it im curently working on a k24a2 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by klik View Post
    Kpro is the shit i have it. you will love it im curently working on a k24a2 swap.
    Hey quick question. What do you recommend for a starting tune? I have stock K20a3 with CAI/Short Header/ Cat Back. Is the "high octane" a good starting point? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hasbro; 04-29-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Update and recap - Hopefully someone can help me - I am a total newb to K-pro and just installed mine this morning. I was only going to get a reflash but Hondata couldn't do it due to an immobilizer problem so I went ahead and sprung for Kpro.
    Anyhow I started out with a High Octane stock tune. My car has basic I/H/E (k20a3). Car ran fine - went out for several drives this morning taking it easy and only got on it a little bit. I was totally impressed until I left for work this evening. Car had some hesitation under throttle and I now have a CEL on. I don't have a scanner with me but I will check it after I drive home carefully.
    I am looking for advice on a calibration. I just want something as close to the Hondata reflash as I can find. I've already spent over twice what I was planning so I won't be getting a "tune" anytime soon if ever.
    I also have an autocross this weekend and a Hill climb coming up soon. What should I do to keep it "safe"? Any help or advise would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Try that KAL i posted in the KAL section... it should do ya fine to start. If you feel up to trying a street datalog, i can clean up your AFR's for ya (if they need it).

- Dave

Thanks so much! I am going to load this first thing tomorrow. If you don't mind I will totally hit you up with a datalog. I did a 7 min. one today. There were no errors or codes, but I'm completely clueless as to what I'm looking at or for. How do you share a datalog? Do I have to post it somewhere and link it like pictures?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information