Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying advice...

Not sure if this is exactly where i should post this.. forgive me if it is wrong..

Basically i saw an '02 ep3 hatch for sale 300k on it.. some issues are immediately present.. passenger side signal housing at the rear is out.. and some dents.. (I can live with it). Basically the guy wants 3k for it cert or 2.5k as is.. do you guys think its even worth a look given the high mileage? The dude has no maintenance history papers except the evap vavle and the oem canister he recently did...

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ476202793

That's the link... this would probably be my first car so I really don't have a ton of money to throw at it.. but I really fancy the ep3..

the second option is wait it out scratch more dough and possibly pick up a 160k ep hatch for 5.5k...

thoughts?

Unless your plans include an overhaul or replacement of pretty much everything you see on the car, wait it out.
    Sure, at $3k its a bargain but the maintenance to get a car with that many k's is plenty. Thats just maintenance, unless you know the owner and have some history of the car and how she's been treated you could be investing in a world of hurt. Not really what you want from a first car.
    I would rather pay more out of the box for a car with a known history, clean body with high miles than cheap out on a car with high miles, visible neglect and questionable past. Thats my opinion though but it has served me well.

Just looked at the link, pictures are kind of iffy on my phone though. Love that dash though.
    I dunno, could be a diamond in the rough or even a rough diamond. Couldnt really make out the dents though. Kind of a deal breaker for me personally.

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    If this were the beginning of an engine swap car for you and you were getting a good deal on a rolling chassis I'd say go for it. As it happens, however, this is your first (and probably only for daily driving) car and I'd be hesitant to buy anything that will need a lot of maintenance and replacement parts.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

wait for something better,that car is at a point it needs a lot of stuff to keep it rolling as a reliable dd. now when all that stuff is done it will be golden but you dont want that as you're first.

the thing is guys.. i was kinda planning on doing a engine + tranny swap.. not right away though.. i found a k20a3 engine + tranny for basically 900.. not with install though.. any of you guys have a rough idea how much $ in terms of labor a swap will cost?

A lot of money, and you shouldn't really even bother with the expense of swapping in another A3. Idk I still don't like it. Have you driven it?
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S

i havent driven it or have i met the seller yet.. since i gotta bus there and all that business.. i figure better ask for advice before i waste my time..

aside for the k20a3 what straight drop in engines can i do with the ep3 hatch?

K20a2 is almost a drop in. The point is not what you can drop it, only that you should buy something that's a capable DD and will definitely not fail on you until you're good and ready for the engine swap as far as time and money go. It sounds like you need something dependable, and it sounds like this guy has treated the car like shit. Sometimes the cosmetic state of the car can give you an indication of the mechanical state as well...
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S

Go the route I did with a straight up A2 swap or piece together a K24. The A2 swap has a higher initial cost while a variation of the 24 (stock) can be used on the stock EP ecm. Whichever, path you choose, Kpro should be a part of your plans. I ran my swap for a couple years on a stock ecu but,unfortunately, the evolution of the thing required proper engine management.
    Knowing what I know now, I dont think I would choose otherwise. There is just something about running to 8600 rpm waiting, wondering, "when's the damn shift light gonna go off?" The bulb goes off, clutch in, shifter up, slide down neutral a bit and up into third, clutch out, hammer down...The road starts declining and hooking left into an uphill tight right... Take a breath...and away we go.
    Hearing not just the exhaust note of the Mugen twin loop but the engine itself screaming out the race header echoing on the walls...I have missed that sound. I got away from Honda's for a few years because something that I loved turned into a "scene". A bunch of dumbass kids that didnt, and to a great extent, still dont know how to act. This EP is my first step back and so far so good. It's a matter of time before she gets broken into or vandalised but I'll cross that bridge then. For now though, I'm enjoying the ride.
    I hope you can find a good solid chassis. Your first car...man it sticks with you. Choose as best as you can.
    I will always remember my red 90 Civic hatchback. Daily driven, auto crossed, reliable for over 300k miles.

My ep3 is my second car but its the one unlearned everything on. I am to a point where I am ready to swap in another engine and I am glad i learned with this car. I haven't had one problem with it other than maintenance issues and a battery issue. I loved it and still can't seem to sell it to get another car. I wouldn't get a car with issues already. I almost did and looking back if I had I might have had repairs that would have cost me a ton. Now that I'm somewhat of a mechanic I can move on and upgrade.

Man cars in canada are expensive! I paid 4300$ for my 03 si 2 years ago, 190k highway miles one owner. And lots of receipts to go with it. If you look at that black car check every little thin on it, Test drive it thoroughly doing tight turns in both directions, all speeds and rpm’s. Check all of the fluids, get under the car and check for cracked bushings and rust. Pull the oil cap and use a flash light to look at the cam lobes, A3 cams are known for gauling due to lack of proper lubrication. Look under the spare tire and under the caps for the rear shock mount areas, check for water. rust. Looks like the car has been modified previously so chances are it could of been beaten, also its worth it to get a car fax vehicle history report as well. Bottom line trust your gut, if any things seems of pass on the car, or offer a low price for it and stick too it.

that is exactly what im afraid of.. i heard k20a3 engines have a bad oil pressure sensor @ like 10 psi where as the car idles at like 25psi or something like that.. that's practically asking for trouble for cams if so much your lights are on..

Hey man i'm local just give you a heads up I paid $3200 for my Black ep3 with 220,000 km's on it, Although it need a couple mechanical things it is a straight No accident car with all the original body panels, My car needed a Right front strut, Seat belt buckle and Clutch other than that ive had no issues on mine

Always look for the vin stickers on the panels to know if its been in an accident or not

save your pennies!
    for not toooooo much more, you could have sooooooo much more!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...cord-engine-WV

i would get a loan and run to buy this.

think of it this way...... a2 cost $900
    installation atleast $1,000.
    misc parts for the swap $800
    kpro needed $650
    all that on top of what you paid for that car (looks like a beater to me).

hold out for a better version of the car you fancy.....
    Last edited by mussh; 04-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information