Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BCSS - OMG What A Difference!

Welp, my Brother In-law and I installed the Buddy Club Short Shifter I purchased here used from a seller.

Let me first start off by saying the shifter was in excellent condition, pretty much new. It took about 45 minutes to install, mainly due to the shifter cables being a b****.

However, once installed, it made a huge difference and I suspect one of the best mods I could have done for my EP. Appearance mods are great, but when you add something you can actually feel and use each and every time you drive, it makes a world of a difference.

The shifter sits low, shifts are short and it has this new feel. No play in the shifter, just a solid feel. Couldn't be more excited!

Big thanks to 02nhbpep3 for the great deal and shifter.

Nice, this is on my "to get" list!

yeah bcss is a great mod. that and kpro.

im wondering if anyone ever put the nuespeed short throw on a bcss?

Quote Originally Posted by mussh View Post

You mean an adapter? - The throw is already pretty damn short. Would be interesting to hear results though.

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    Super short shifter lol

GDM Lights Installed Draw7Seven's Avatar
    I think the BCSS and the K20A2 that came in my car when I got it were probably the two biggest reasons I kept the EP as long as I did. Great mod.

I need a short shifter for the DC5 but there are too many choices and some of them are very pricey.
    -Matt-
    2005 MR RSX-S
    Quote Originally Posted by hyu View Post
    If I wanted power I would have kept my neon

I agree on the Buddy Club. Excellent piece.
    I unfortunately found myself eyeballing an RSX last week.
    Not good. I dont think I could afford the EP and an RSX. Be in the poor house for sure.
    Quickly at that.

Last edited by Mugen Dom; 05-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman5 View Post
    I agree on the Buddy Club. Excellent piece.
    I unfortunately found myself eyeballing an RSX last week.
    Not good. I dont think I could afford the EP and an RSX. Be in the poor house for sure.
    Quickly at that.
    I know I'm new to my EP3, but now that I have it, I absolutely love it. The body style kills everything, except for a veloster of course.

It shifts well, runs great and a body style that will cause you to go bareback... nuff said! lol

Many people like that the BCSS reduces the amount of play in the lever; lots of ep's develop more and more lever play over the years. For example when the shifter is in neutral, you can knock it around lightly and it will shake alot before it starts to engage any gears.

Look at the white plastic pivot ball on the base of the shift lever. Observe the design. That ball gets tons of force every time you shift. As you shift tens of thousands of times, the plastic itself wears away and leaves a gap between the ball and the socket. When you replace it with the BCSS, the ball is snug as can be in the socket therefore eliminating play. The BCSS has the same basic design and materials as the OEM shifter, the only major difference being the lever lengths. It is prone to the same wear issue. Replacing with OEM will provide the same remedy.

A short shifter is nothing more than changing the length of the levers in the shifter. This means the shifter will have less throw, but will require more force proportionate to change in throw length. i.e. BCSS=40% less throw=40% more force. Not a disadvantage, not an advantage. Shifting without damaging the synchros is limited in speed by the weight of the flywheel, because the the synchros are forced to speed up or slow down the mainshaft more than if you wait for the flywheel to slow down to match RPM with the higher gear, or give it throttle to rev up to match rpm with the lower gear. Any shift time gained with a SS damages the synchros proportionately to that increase. Also having a longer throw/longer lever/more leverage means small movements in the transmission that are transmitted through the cables will be felt as bigger motions through the lever, potentially allowing the observer to reduce transmission wear through sensory feedback.

I have a BCSS and love it. Very similar to OEM, but shorter/heavier shifts; I got a deal.
    Last edited by bemmis; 09-14-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Re: BCSS - OMG What A Difference!

Interesting! Maybe that's why my bcss+extension piece is so perfect. Reduced throw, with supplemented force added via the extension.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Love this thread title!
    I remember my first time with the BCSS too :)

Congrats on the upgrade! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Interesting! Maybe that's why my bcss+extension piece is so perfect. Reduced throw, with supplemented force added via the extension.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    So true.

But if the resistance is the same as OEM, then the throw to cable movement ratio/lever lengths must have the same proportions as OEM. If its less throw than OEM, than there must be more resistance; more throw: less resistance.

You can fine tune the lever lengths infinitely with perfect results, but any ratio can perform equally in the right hands. Whatever gives you enough feel to shift at the MAX is ideal.

Your setup puts the shift handle at a new spot, plus gives you a custom lever ratio. That leaves nothing to be desired.
    Last edited by bemmis; 09-14-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Yea I agree. The bcss is one of my favorite mods I did by far. Especially when I throw it in 6th :D

Quote Originally Posted by mussh View Post

I had the Megan adaptor(same as nuespeed) and tried to do it. Kinda hard to explain but doesn't work. The adaptor's joint new position sit right above the bcss joint where the cable connects. The bcss joint is pretty long from the start and the adaptor's joint is about 1cm longer than the bcss. Since the cable has to attach above the bcss when you down shift, the bcss joint pulls up and pop the cable off of the adaptor joint.

Think of it like this, if you have two sticks top and bottom to each other, one be slightly longer, a rope is tied to the tip of longer one which is on top. If you rotate it up, the rope will eventually touch the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by .colin View Post
    Nice, this is on my "to get" list!
    You never got one all of this time? I thought you did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information