Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FireFighterSI

Gas... What Octain?

Hey guys... I just wanted to know what octain everyone has been running on thier 2k2's. I've been running 93 Octain, and it loves it. I only used the one tank of regular befor I switch over. I didn't really pay attention to the difference, but maybe you guys did.

Well let me know whats up, and I hope I'm not running my car too lean.

Loves the high grade stuff though!

OUT,
    Smiley

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    I have read and heard different things - dealer says any more than 86 is a waste while an article in one magazine or another said 91. I routinely pump her up with 89 to be on the safe side but every third fill-up I go with the 93 to be on the safe side:) .

I've been using 93, but then again I think everyone that likes their car does that. I'll have to do a full tank of lower octane gas sometime to see if there is a noticeable difference.

4u2nv
    ill never use anything, but premium, and full synthetic oil. thats the best thing about buying a car new, you know how its been taken care of

nothing but 93 goes in my tank

91's all we have in CA. that's what i put in.

ephatch member
    I use 91 most of the time but sometimes regular cause gas prices really blow

brianc593
    I fill up with 91 because thats the highest octane we have here. If we had 93 thats what I'd be using.

SilverArrow
    I myself only have 91 octane out here and that's all I have used but I don't know what the dealersihp put in when they filled it up?

punkdork
    I was stupid enough to try 87 since the manual only says 86 and up. I got some detonation. I'm on 89 and will switch to 92 and stick with it on my next tank.

2002HatchSi

GAS PRICES SUCK

i use 93 octane..... but gas prices suck in new orleans its like 1.73 a gallon here omg its crazy.... but my baby likes the good stuff so i take care of her....

Originally posted by punkdork
    I was stupid enough to try 87 since the manual only says 86 and up. I got some detonation. I'm on 89 and will switch to 92 and stick with it on my next tank.
    What exactly is detonation? What actually happens when it does occur?

I only use 93

ephatch member
    I'll give this a try, If i'm wrong, someone let me know.
    Detonation or pinging is when the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder detonates due to the compression in the cylinder and not the spark from the spark plug. This can cause damage to the engine.
    Octane is a measurement of how resistant a gasoline is to detonation. So engines with higher compression ratios need higher octane to avoid detonation. The 9.8 to 1 compression ratio in the Si should be OK with 87, but the 11.0 to 1 compression ratio in RSX-S needs 91 or higher octane. Our engines do have knock sensors, so if the computer detects pinging it should retard the timing to prevent it. So you could run an RSX-S on 87 octane, it would just be a little down on power because the engine would adjust to the lower octane.
    Some people feel that the Si and base RSX won't benefit from octane higher than 87 since that is what Honda designed it for, others can tell a difference. It's pretty much up to the individual, but I have been running 93 in my Si, haven't tried 87 yet.

An interesting note: Diesel engines operate on compression ignition, no spark plugs. So a diesel fuel is rated by its cetane rating, octaine is not used. The cetane rating tells how easy it is to ignite the fuel by compression.

ephatch member
    vtec.net found when dyno testing an Si that it made more power with higher octane fuel.
    link:
    http://beta.vtec.net/articles/view-a...rticle_id=8542

4u2nv
    Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
    I'll give this a try, If i'm wrong, someone let me know.
    Detonation or pinging is when the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder detonates due to the compression in the cylinder and not the spark from the spark plug. This can cause damage to the engine.
    Octane is a measurement of how resistant a gasoline is to detonation. So engines with higher compression ratios need higher octane to avoid detonation. The 9.8 to 1 compression ratio in the Si should be OK with 87, but the 11.0 to 1 compression ratio in RSX-S needs 91 or higher octane. Our engines do have knock sensors, so if the computer detects pinging it should retard the timing to prevent it. So you could run an RSX-S on 87 octane, it would just be a little down on power because the engine would adjust to the lower octane.
    Some people feel that the Si and base RSX won't benefit from octane higher than 87 since that is what Honda designed it for, others can tell a difference. It's pretty much up to the individual, but I have been running 93 in my Si, haven't tried 87 yet.

An interesting note: Diesel engines operate on compression ignition, no spark plugs. So a diesel fuel is rated by its cetane rating, octaine is not used. The cetane rating tells how easy it is to ignite the fuel by compression.
    there is no need for correction here, you are exactly right

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information