Close

how tight should i put the new oil filter

hey guys i just wanted to know how tight i should tighten a new oil filter after doing a oil change. i screwed it on by hand not to tight and i noticed it had a small leak. So i went back and tightened it with a wrench so far i havent noticed anymore leaks . Im just kind of worried about overtightening it since its my first time doing my own oil change. Other than this it was a very easy job took me like 30 mins to do because i let the oil drain for a long time.

any input is welcome

thanks
    javi

neuspeed race springs
    dc sports ceramic header
    hks hi power exhaust
    injen cold air intake
    aem bypass valve

the general rule is 1/4 turn past where the gasket on the oil filter first contacts the block.

never had an oil leak at the filter using that rule on the hondas that I drive.

I usually tighten a little more than Chunky, about 3/4 turn. I haven't had any problems yet (just did my oil again this weekend). I'm able to get the filter back off with my hand, no wrench needed.

Canuck
    easiest way for me is to torque it down to spec, about 10 ft lbs of torque and it's set. It the easiest way to do it , but you need a filter wrench and torque wrench.

Hand tight works for me, which is probably about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn past where the gasket on the oil filter first contacts the block. Don't over torque it or it will be a bitch to take off. I can usually take off the filter by hand (during the next oil change & no filter wrench is needed)...I'm storng like that...hehe. :D
    Last edited by HondaMan; 04-09-2003 at 09:15 AM.

I have always gone about 1 full turn after the gasket touches the mating surface but if less will work then go with that.

whta happens if you tighten too much?

NXK20
    Another thing that helps is rub a little motor oil on the rubber gasket on the oil filter before you put it on. Not really sure why but i've seen alot of other people do it so i do too. Never leaks.

I don't want to be a smart ass, but you should always put some oil on the gasket. It usually is printed right on the filter to do that.

Smearing some oil on the gasket is an absolute must. I think it keeps the gasket from sticking while you tighten the filter. If it sticks it can wrinkle the gasket and leak.

I think the gasket's supposed to be oiled up to prevent drying out and rotting and to help it seat properly.

Honda filters specify a 3/4 turn after the gasket hits the base. The filter is conveniently marked with 1/2/3/4 arrows so you can do this accurately.

My ep feels damn nice after its 1st oil change this past weekend.

Thread Information