Close

Lightbulb get rid of throttle slack

With the gas pedal on our ep's, there is a little bit of slack. I heard about something like this on club si, but I found another way to do it because I lacked a crescent or open ended wrench that would allow me to adjust the nuts on the throttle cable.

The way I did this was by making a thin spacer, about 1/3"', and putting it on the cable between the top of gas pedal bar and the rubber casing that encases the throttle cable right before the metal disc end. For a spacer I used a door stop cover, those white little rubber/plastic things that go on the bars on the bottom of doors. This is what I had and I am sure there are many better items to use and that would have made it easier, but I didn't want to spend any money and this is what I had.

First thing was cutting the rubber cap so that it was about the right length (this requires calibrating so it is best to cut off less than necessary). Then I made a slit vertically on one side of it so it could slip around the throttle cable. Next, I went under the hood and pushed down the throttle so I could take the cable off the pulley so there would be lots of slack. Then I put on the rubber spacer and put the throttle cable back on the pulley. Turned on my car, noticed revs were too high (from cold it should start at 1600 and drop to about 1000 or less when it warms up) so I turned off the car and removed the rubber piece, making it slightly shorter. This time success, same rpm's as stock and no pedal play, very taut.

Since I used a rubber piece to space it out and it tended to fall off, I used a plastic zip tie to keep it in place. So far so good, though I have only done a little test drive. An advantage to doing it like this is the worst that happens is this rubber spacer breaks off and the throttle cable is like it was before, stock. I don't know if it was worth the time, but I was bored, it was fun and it worked.

If anyone is really that interested in this I will post some pics, but I somehow doubt there will be much ;-)

I wanna see it. :)

Damn, I didn't really want to take pictures, I guess I will sometime soon.

Thread Information