Close

heatshield gasket install & me = not friends

what should have been a one-hour simple hondata heatshield install turned out to take four hours.

including a trip to the store for more tools and numerous searches on ephatch, my heatshield finally is on and everything works. haven't had time to really see if the thing works, but it seems the intake manifold is a little less hot than the engine block. hopefully this all will be worth it in the long run.

(note to self: do more reading into installs before attempting.)

ephatch member
    did u torque the IGHS bolts to 16lbs-ft ? cuz if u did more u risk possible crackin of ur block or something
    read it on some posted mirrored from clubrsx

yes, all intake manifold bolts were tightened to 16 ft-lbs. that was one thing my brothers and I knew going into it. the rest was a discovery in the making, locating and find the right tools for all the bolts and nuts.

how true to the install was myeverlovinsir's howto?

Originally posted by Dunrick
    how true to the install was myeverlovinsir's howto?
    his install was right on. my problem was i was sticking to hondata's installation instructions, which are vague at best. once we found myeverlovinsir's install, things went much smoother from there.

so when we gonna race.. to see if your gasket makes u fastttttttttta yo?

ephatch member
    i just install my ighs today along with fuel rail and thermostat and thermoswitch

so much pain right now

ephatch member
    here is the word of advice alway sbefore u start teh project check adn see what tools u think ur going to need. Always being over prepared is better then under prepared

i did have all the necessary tools, they were just cheap ones. for instance, the 12 mm wrench i was using didn't fit one of the manifold bolts well and was stripping it. that's why i had to go to the hardware store to get new/better wrenches.

but thanks for advice.

:D

I just smoked u...
    It took me and a friend about 1 and a half hours... We went on and bought bolts from Honda, the ones same as the bolts on the upper left corner of the manifold, to replace the studs, just incase those studs bottom out. But we ended up dropping the bolts into the car... its still stuck there... couldnt get it out, its trapped sumwhere rite under the manifold, can see it but cant reach it.. haha. O well, ya i can feel a lot of difference, especially at night, the intake manifold never gets hot hot... but not that much of a difference performance wise.

Thread Information