Close

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    that dyno makes it seem like the only mod you had on when dyno'ing was the magnaflow exhaust. if im correct in my assumptions than i am even happier with my new exhaust.

your assumption is correct

Thumbs up

fuckin sweet! im gonna go put my shit on right now!

Thumbs up

fuckin sweet!

:D

i used to have the hks hi-power but i kept gettin hassled by police. the size was a big cop magnet. i was about to sell it but when i was backing out of a bank one day i hit it on a curb!:( i got it fixed and sold it to a friend. imo, the hks is kinda big. the sound was great and i miss it but this magnaflow has got me hooked. oem appeal, nice sound, stainless steel, and low price. you can't go wrong. my next paycheck imma pick up one of these bad boys. oh ya, it seems like alot of cali peeps are gettin this exhaust. did you guys have some popo trouble too?:angel:

I hope there is no popo ish goin on. I wanna hook up one of these too.

Out in Riverside the CHP setup a road block a couple of weeks ago. They were stopping all Hondas. Stock, slightly modded, heavily modded whatever. They were looking under hoods sticking DB meters at tailpipes and most important of all issuing "paper"

Is there a CARB # for this exhaust yet?

They dont make a CARB# for any exhaust, only intakes, header,superchargers and Turbos. From what I hear the Magnaflow complies with California's 95db sound law.

Tanks for the info civcboost

No prob

Just remember us Cali folks have to pay close attention on the shit we modify, No race only header(DC Sports okay), No straight pipes, No giggle gas unless you want to hook it up at the track, you get pulled over on a public road with N20 present in your hoopty, and its good by car (impound) $1K fine, and jail time on top of that. CA people cant have no fun.

Originally posted by EP33
    I hope there is no popo ish goin on. I wanna hook up one of these too.

Out in Riverside the CHP setup a road block a couple of weeks ago. They were stopping all Hondas. Stock, slightly modded, heavily modded whatever. They were looking under hoods sticking DB meters at tailpipes and most important of all issuing "paper"

Is there a CARB # for this exhaust yet?
    a carb eo # is not needed for an exhaust. "carb" stands for california air resources board that regulates exhaust emissions (not exhaust noise levels). since the exhaust is downstream of the catalytic converter it doesn't change the emissions, just expells them.

division 12, chapter 5, article 2 of the ca vehicle code (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm) contains the exhaust requirements for vehicles registered (driven?) in the state of ca. i would recommend becoming familiar with them if you expect trouble.

my take on it is:

27150a explains that any registered vehicle must have an adequate muffler... (what is adequate?)

27151b explains that you may not modify your your exhaust to increase noise levels past 95dbA. (95dbA is adequate)

27151.1 explains that it is a misdemeanor for Magnaflow or another retailer to sell an exhaust that exceeds the 95dbA limit.

27150.2 explains the process for (noise and emissions) testing compliance of exhaust systems through any smog station.

27150.2e exposes a potiental loophole - being poor may be an exemption...

from what i understand our now ex-governor passed a law that requires us to prove that our exhaust passes instead of the officer having to prove that it fails.

and my approach is that if i get a ticket, i will politely ask the officer for a referee station where i can get it checked. i will then procede to get it checked. if it passes provide the certification (showing the specific modified exhaust) to the court proving the officer was wrong and if it fails obtain failure notice from the referee and then pressure magnaflow/and retailer to fix it or they are responsible for commiting a misdemeanor. if they refuse to fix it, i'll take it to the dealer and get a stock exhaust put back on and sue magnaflow/retailer for the cost of the test, the new stock exhaust, and any legal fees incurred. i'm comfortable with that!

reference vehicle codes
    Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
    Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
    Sale of Exhaust Systems

27150.1. No person engaged in a business that involves the selling of motor vehicle exhaust systems, or parts thereof, including, but not limited to, mufflers, shall offer for sale, sell, or install, a motor vehicle exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, unless it meets the regulations and standards applicable pursuant to this article. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
    Regulations Governing Exhaust Systems

27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.

(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.

(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.

(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.

(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.
    Last edited by glw; 10-08-2003 at 10:24 PM.

My thoughts exactly glw

Well well

That explains everything doesn't it. Good information GLW.

ephatch member
    Someone told me that this exhaust might not pass smog. I hope thats not true because I ordered mine yesterday. Can anyone confirm this?

you shouldnt fail emissions due to an exhaust, like glw said anything after the Catalytic Converter isnt going to alter emissions, only mods that are in front of the cat and under your hood that relate to the motor. As long as your intake/header has a CARB# your cool with smog. So whoever told you that was A)lying to you or B) doesnt know anything. Just remember if a part doesnt have a CARB# and its engine related its not smog legal in CA

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information