Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vtec "Hit"?

4u2nv
    how is it "intelligent" if the vtec is always working. wouldnt that be just like setting a vtec contoller at 2200. im not real sure that sounds intellegent, but i dont want to argue a point im not sure about

edited out
    Last edited by ApexinSi; 06-25-2002 at 09:41 PM.

4u2nv
    Originally posted by ApexinSi
    good then be quit and stop arguing about something you have no damn clue about...a HONDA cannot learn your driving style, are you on crack?.......this ain't a $40k+ car...maybe an S2000, but no Si...
    sorry ill ask at king motorsports tomorrow. you dont have to buy a $40000 car to have a learning ecu. the wrx can gain 10+hp at the wheel sfrom someone driving hard. just cause i disagree doesnt me you have to be an asshole

edited out
    Last edited by ApexinSi; 06-25-2002 at 09:41 PM.

i gave up man, u win. :( ...sorry bout that....we are on the same side.

But i'd like to look more into this....that article i read that has me beliving myself so much was at

http://www.vtec.net/

It had a detailed look at the new si and the i-vtec motor...just gotta find it.

4u2nv
    i dont mean to be an ass, but i wasnt beeing rude, just trying to figure out this crap about the ivtec like everyone else. if i am wrong then i am sorry for arguing, i havent read this article, and havent had anyone realy say this is what ivtec is and does exactly. since with my aem my car sounds like my friends 2000 si that leads me to believe that there may have been a typo in the magazine. i dont mean to cause a war over something that in a month or two will be common knowlage. as i said i will stop at king tomorrow and ask scott to explain it to me

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    c'mon gentlemen - we are all on the same page here. Lets try to spread our wealth of information w/out degrading those who may not know as much. We are here to help and give advice not start silly arguments over nothing. :)

4u2nv
    yeah i have no hard feelings. i hope ApexinSi doesnt i wasnt trying to pick a fight. we will all figure out whats going on together and put our differences behind us

4u2nv
    well i found out whats up with our ivtec. we were both wrong. it is constantly addapting, not learning. it has no set range where the vtec engages. it depends on a long list of variables, such as throttle position, manifold pressure, and a whole list of things. in scotts words "a simple answer to a complicated question, is it addapts to the conditions its in"

Mulder
    I copied this from Honda's own website. I hope it helps.

i-VTEC System
    The latest version of Honda's acclaimed valve-control technology, the "intelligent" i-VTEC system combines Variable Timing Control (VTC)--which continually adjusts intake-camshaft phase--with Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (VTEC), which changes valve lift, timing, and duration. The result is 160-horsepower at 6500 rpm, 132 lbs-ft of torque at 5000 rpm (a 20 percent torque increase over the previous Civic Si), and exceptional operating efficiency.

VTEC (Variable Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
    The Si's VTEC system uses two roller arms per pair of intake valves. During low-rpm operation, intake air is drawn almost exclusively through the primary intake valve, thereby creating a very strong swirl effect to maximize combustion. At higher rpm, the secondary rocker arm engages the primary roller, opening both intake valves for the same lift and duration, substantially increasing airflow into the cylinder and boosting performance.

VTC (Variable Timing Control)
    The i-VTEC system adds a new camshaft VTC (Variable Timing Control) system to VTEC for continuously variable camshaft phasing across the engine's entire power band. As engine rpm builds, a VTC actuator--controlled by an engine-control union that monitors cam position, ignition timing, and throttle position--advances or retards the intake cam throughout the 50-degree timing range, optimizing engine output and reducing emissions.

Also, the April/May issue of Honda Tuning Magazine has a great article on the new K series engines.

NetDragon
    I am no expert on cars. I know that VTEC stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control. True my car does hot have a hit like my house mates 2000 Celica GTS (180hp), but I do notice a lot more power after around 4500 RPM's. And after 5300 there is more. When I am getting on the freeway I shift at 6500 if I need to get up to speed quickly and as I am sure you other Si owners know. It has nooooo problem reaching 65MPH in 3rd or 4th gear. Wheeeeeeee!

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    Originally posted by NetDragon
    It has nooooo problem reaching 65MPH in 3rd or 4th gear. Wheeeeeeee!
    Was that you or the car?:)

NetDragon
    Me saying Wheeeeeee! The car is easiely getting onto the freeway.

Thumbs up VTEC

well I usally feel a big up on my car at 5500..i think the vtech kicked in at that point...but not really sure... But Y dose the rpm have to go up to fast???? well my friend have a 98 integ GS with DC header and intake..... and yeah i smoked him with mystockie eheh =) and on the freeway every time i downshifted to 4th gear he cant even catch up....and i was pulling away pretty fast... so far i smoked elicese GS with i/h/e, accord 98 coupe,nad a 97...
    which Intak is better for the SI AEM, or Injen??? how much HP dose both give out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information