Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Swapping Internals Might Not Be Good

Here we go, time for master (engine moderator?) Trevor to explain.... (this will be long)

The RSX type S head is basically useless for us to bolt on because we have what i like to call SHITTY pistons. The dome of the piston has a stupid "nipple" in the top which is supposed to improve emissions.

The bore and stroke of our engine the K20A (no # is designated yet after the A) is exactly the same as the RSX Type S (K20A2) and RSX (K20A3) engine.

Some of the differences are that the RSX and RSX type S have though is that the RSX has a two stage composite intake manifold, versus the Aluminum single stage RSX Type S intake manifold. WE also have the Aluminum single stage so at least thats a +.

The compression ratios are also different in our engine versus the RSX Type S. Ours = 9.8:1, Type S = 11.0:1. This is mainly because of the pistons and how the head is ported.

Also the RSX Type S has a fully counterweighted crank, versus our SHITTY crank which is our downfall in in higher revs.

The Rods are pretty much the same, but the Type S has stonger rods to help with higher piston speed.

What we Should do? Swap in a RSX Type S engine. Thats the best solution. Granted its pricey, but i would have to say do that.

Or... Wait until better pistons coem out for the Si so that we can improve the stupid engineering of hondas emissions devision, and also look into getting a counterweighted RSX type S crank. Then I would have to say that a RSX Type S head wouldnt be a bad idea after all. But remember you are talking about changing basically all of the lower end of the engine, then putting a completely different head. All of this is still with a 5 speed tranny!!!
    Word also is that the S2000 has the exact same head gasket as our K series engines... Can you imagine that kinda fun under the hood?

I'll find out more info, seeing as how i've been working on a RSX Type S engine with a buddy of mine and I'll get back to you all.

creator of ephatch DownTheHatch's Avatar
    If pistons are the problem was can transplant type-s or type-r pistons for higher compression.

What do you think our potential is?

I've been beat twice by my buddy's 00 Si....frustrating

In my personal opinion the outlook is positive. Just give it time for the aftermarket to kick in.

As for the Honda Integra Type R (our RSX Type S with 20 more horse) I was offered the opportunity to purchase a complete setup for my Si, but i had to unfortunately turn it down because of the fact that i do not have 6 grand for a new engine. Granted a 6 speed 220 base hp Si would be sweet as hell I just dont have the funding.

And in response to swapping the type s or r pistons...Y swap high compression pistons when:
    A- we have a shitty head setup
    B- we have a shitty crank compared to the Type S and R.

So basically i personally think, now remember this is my .02 and that might not mean a whole lot..but if you're gonna do it right, do it right the first time.

If Honda would have just given us a higher rev limit, i wold be happy...but as it is I'm "okay" for now atleast.

Scivichatch02
    all i have to say is that are cars are never going to be quick as the older model civic cause we weight a ton more than all the older civic

SiCivic2k2
    I don't know about your Si, but I weighed mine at the track and with me out of it it weighed 2650 me in it it weighed 2800. That's about the same weight as the old Si's give or take a few lbs.

ephatch member
    The weight is what Ive been trying to explain to a lot of people. Especially 99-00 Si owners. They keep giving me crap about weight. The real difference between the cars is the revs I think. I mean v-tec hits so hard at 6k, but as soon as it hits really hard, its done. So our peak power band is smaller. If we could just have like 500 more revs...by by old Si's. But thats just what I think:D

Im sure there will be tons of stolen rsx-s for the swap for your cars. like all the Rs in this world are getting stolen, for civic swaps.

SiCivic2k2
    I've raced a couple stock (from my knowledge) older Si's and I beat both of them. The thing is, our cars shift sooner. It takes the older Si's to get all the way to their 8k redline where all there power is. As for us we have it down low and all the way through the powerband. We definately have a little more torque than the older Si's also. I love racing one and looking in my review mirror after launching. I always take them off the line because we have just a tad bit more torque. I think that our newer Si's will get the credit they deserve whenever more aftermarket products are tested and people realize what these cars are capable of. Just my .02 ;)

all i have to say is......well aint that some $hit.......

I am the shit. Wait... people say it differently...oh yeah.. Arent I a piece of shit. Lol

Sorry... i went to summerfest tonight and had a few too many!

:D

ericcarver1
    So how hard is it to put the RSX motor into the Si? What would a god shop charge for the work?

eric

ssvr6
    There are new pistons and rods that can be used. Cybernation has been installing them in their RSX-S's for a while now. I saw them the other day and they look great.

I'm not sure if they make them or if they're JE or some other manufacturer. I just know that they have them.

Steve

The most cost effective thing to do is: DC5-R pistons, intake and PRB head.

Only thing after that is engine management.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information