Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

updated opinions on Si (vs. SRT-4)

First off, if you want to flame, don't read the rest. I loved the Si, and now I love the SRT-4. I am not going to be biased here so take the ripping elsewhere...thanks.

NOTE: I owned a 03 Si from May-Nov and now I own a 04 SRT-4. Here are some takes on the advantages and disadvantages of the vehicles that I have so far observed.

Si's transmission, clutch, shifter is remarkable, clutch is light, easy to handle, highly predictable.
    SRT-4, opposite, however feels very heavy duty which is not necessarily a good thing.

Si's torque kicks in right off the bat from a stop! Got to love it!
    SRT-4, must hit 2k before you can feel a surge, at which point the surge is continuous/flat at 250lb torque from 2k-4.5k, like riding on rails.

Si's interior is spectacular. Quality is incredible.
    SRT-4 has cheap interior, but sporty touches that is not all that different from say a WRX.

Si is light and nimble despite its weight.
    SRT-4, about the same weight feels like a much much bigger car that you will hesitate bringing to the track.

Si accelerates fast.
    SRT-4 accelerates very fast. I would hesitate hitting redline.

Si has a higher redline, sporty free-spirited driving.
    SRT-4 has only a 6k redline, and you really don't go anywhere near it.

Si needs a drop and bigger rims with sport tires.
    SRT-4 has a nice height with 17" rims and nice tires.

Looks is highly subjective. I love the SRT-4's look, but it is fuggin chunky...same length as a bmw 3 series sedan.

That is all I know for know. My auterra arrived yesterday and I will be using that to do some cheesy dyno readings. Take care guys.

Asshole, Major Asshole Driftin SI's Avatar
    Thanks for thr write, thats a good, unbiased comparison :)

Good write up, but I'm sure some assclown will flame away the ever popular "but it's still a neon" BS.

I like the SRT-4 for what it is, a high performance sport compact with the support of Mopar behind it. (Doesn't get much better than that IMO.)

I wish Honda and VW would do the same since the only Dodge turbo I'd buy would be a quad cab Ram to tow my Si to the track.

Steve
    I accept and embrace the ricer in me...

2016 DGM STi

haha.. unbiased? I got the sense that he still loves everything about his Si and only the speed and power of the srt-4. Anyways, have fun with the neon bro.. and take some pics when u get it!

car-less for now.... 2k2_nbp_egg's Avatar
    Wow...nice!!! Congrats on the srt bro...and I'm glad that we can finally get a non-biased opinion of both cars in here from someone that has owned both. I'd really like to hear your opinion on the handling, especially since the 04's are coming with that LSD. And the seats...it's been a while since I've sat in one. How do you like them compared to our recaros?

Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
    And the seats...it's been a while since I've sat in one. How do you like them compared to our recaros?
    The seats would depend on the size of the driver.

I have a 42 chest measurement and in the Si:
    I fit perfect, and I love the smell of them suede.
    in the SRT-4:
    the very high bolsters is incessently pressing against my shoulderblade area.

The seats in the SRT-4 is soft, especially the bolsters, sags a bit much...it doesn't have anything on the Si seats..

Originally posted by chibianh
    haha.. unbiased? I got the sense that he still loves everything about his Si and only the speed and power of the srt-4. Anyways, have fun with the neon bro.. and take some pics when u get it!
    moving the speed/power to the Si would be nice, but it is only the Si's interior and TOTALLY AWESOME creature comfort that I love...I'd rather do this: move all interior into the SRT-4...that would be my dream car:D

I'll take pics soon, I already have it, but the days really suck out here.

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    nice write up!

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    furious clean your mailbox so i can PM you

These are my confessions Zero Three Si's Avatar
    LOL....he really misses his Si. If he would have put a turbo on the K20a3 he would still have it.

I went to the Dodge dealership last weekend and let them run some numbers on me Si while I test drove the SRT-4. The power of the SRT definately beats the Si, but the interior of Si is definately alot nicer. The SRT did feel alot bulkier, but overall a pretty nice ride. After getting the numbers back on what they could get me into the SRT for there was no way I whould have done it. My payments were going to go up about $120 per month. They were only going to give me $13,000 for my car, plus I had to put $1,500 down. For all of that I would rather save up for a K20a of a turbo for my K20a3. Plus, when I walked out of the dealership and saw my baby sitting there, I would not want to get rid of her. That is my input on the SRT-4.:)

i drive an rx7.
    *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame*

just messin :D

SRT4's interior is cheap man... Every hardware is nice, especially the quafile LSD. When I sit in it, the interior is a big turn off... I did not even bother to ask for a test drive.

Nice write up!

I like both cars and if I had the cash I'd be happy with one of each...but no such luck.

Pimpin' the News Van Jaws Of Death's Avatar
    I actually got to test drive a silver 04 SRT-4 the other day, and I must say Damn!!! Yeah, the interior is cheap, yeah it looks like a mean neon, yeah it may not be as reliable (debatable). But when I pushed on that right pedal, I didn't care. It handled alot better than I anticipated too. I was very impressed overall. If I could get in one without losing much, I would in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong,I still like my ep, its more practical and gets better gas mileage and I think it looks much better, but the SRT-4 was just an absolute blast to drive. Just my two cents.:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information