Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    thank you

so this is a much needed tool for this kind of job?

These are my confessions Zero Three Si's Avatar
    Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
    whats the going rate to have all 4 break pads taken off @ a shop? i never brought my car to a shop to have break pads done...but i might want to this year depending on what they charge minus the price of the pads
    You're talking about 300-400 dollars. That's for parts and labor. You can rest asure that you aren't going to be getting slotted rotors or top of the line pads with that either.

BIG TIP!!!

When you are using the C clamp...get a piece of wood and place it over the piston to ensure that the piston goes in evenly.

NEXT BIG TIP!!!

Pump your brakes after you change them and BEFORE you put it in gear. Your brake will go always the way to the floor and you wont be able to stop. If you are in your garage, you'll go through the wall like I did when I first changed my brakes when I was 15.

ephatch member
    Originally posted by SiR_d1
    thank you

so this is a much needed tool for this kind of job?
    well its not like you wont be able to push back in the caliper piston with out it, but if you want to do it RIGHT then yes you'll need it

ephatch member
    Originally posted by Zero Three Si
    If you are in your garage, you'll go through the wall like I did when I first changed my brakes when I was 15.
    ouch

Cold Blooodeeddd!!!!!

question

i have changed pads before and its an easy, self fulfilling type of fix when you are done, BUT my question is, if i want to install some slotted rotors, say maybe some brembos, how hard is it to get the oem rotor off. do i have to try to unscrew those phillips head screws??? i mean, shit, i know those things are really on there and it would probably be a bitch to get em off. anybody done this mod themselves yet??

Re: question

Originally posted by bigcase
    i have changed pads before and its an easy, self fulfilling type of fix when you are done, BUT my question is, if i want to install some slotted rotors, say maybe some brembos, how hard is it to get the oem rotor off. do i have to try to unscrew those phillips head screws??? i mean, shit, i know those things are really on there and it would probably be a bitch to get em off. anybody done this mod themselves yet??
    i believe you remove the phillips screws and put long bolts that push the rotor off. sorry, my manual is at home.

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar

Re: question

the screws are extremely hard to get off. you'll definitely need a impact driver to get them out with a phillips 3 head. if you do it by hand, you'll probably mess them up beyond repair.

Cold Blooodeeddd!!!!!

thanks

well, that just gives me an excuse to use air tools now dont it. ill have to give that one a try, and thanks again.

BTW, have you done this change?

ephatch member

Re: thanks

well, that just gives me an excuse to use air tools now dont it. ill have to give that one a try, and thanks again.

BTW, have you done this change?
    no an impact driver is a screw driver you hold with your hand and then pound on it with a hammer

Cold Blooodeeddd!!!!!

ooohhhhh

see, i didnt know that. what the hell is that? ive never even seen one. can you rent those at home depot, for sake of sounding like an idiot. cough, *too late* cough.

remote cousin of ae86 tony speed's Avatar

Re: ooohhhhh

see, i didnt know that. what the hell is that? ive never even seen one. can you rent those at home depot, for sake of sounding like an idiot. cough, *too late* cough.
    you can get a cheap one for about $10, a top-of-the-line one for about $23. Check any big car tool parts place. I tried to take of my rotor and probably stripped the head, and I watched my mechanic hammer the other side...I just got replacement screws today from honda. I just hope I can remove the old ones. An impact driver is what people say to use on any honda-rotor-removal tutorial you can find on the web.

got my HAWK brake pds in today and just got done with the install. very quick and straight forward like you all said. thanks for all the info!

Re: Re: question

Originally posted by tony speed
    the screws are extremely hard to get off. you'll definitely need a impact driver to get them out with a phillips 3 head. if you do it by hand, you'll probably mess them up beyond repair.
    hah! no way! I can always get mine off by hand. they don't have to be put in very tight, they're only a problem if the person installing them over torqued them.

Thumbs up HPS Pads

02civicsi: How are you finding the new pads? Can you notice a difference in braking? Details!!

I've got my set sitting in my basement until it gets warm enough to go outside and install them!!!!

How long did it take you? Any tips? Did you remove the metal plates from the pads?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: question

Originally posted by chunky
    hah! no way! I can always get mine off by hand. they don't have to be put in very tight, they're only a problem if the person installing them over torqued them.
    ditto that. At least for my last civic, we'll see how it goes with this one :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information