Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hondata

Thumbs up Hondata

I just got my computer and keys back from Hondata and all I can say is WOW!!! This is how the Si should have drove from honda! The response of the car is 100% better you can hit 64mph in second gear and all around a great upgrade. I only have a AEM SRI the rest of the car is stock so I can not wait to find a 4-1 header, CAI, and a good exaust to help out with this new found Si I have. All I have to say is it is well worth the money and anyone aand I know there are a lot out there who were like me saying this car feels slow you NEED THIS UPGRADE! Its makes all the difference!
    Steve O

DOOOOODDDE!?!?! I want Hondata BAD. Gonna send my ECU in early next week, it's the only time I can afford down time on my ride for a few days. Looking forward to my Hondata ECU :) Get some vids up bro!

it still kinds expensive for me but I really do want to get it:(

All I have to say is that it is well worth the money I just can't wait to find some good headers and exaust to add to it should be great!

Why don't you wait for February when you can modify the ECU yourself. 900 bucks for you to tinker with everything. If you are planning on doing a turbo you can adjust for up to 10 lbs. I think it is a sweet idea but the cost is pretty substantial. Since I have a reflash ECU it is half the cost. Of course you will need a labtop but nevertheless something to consider.

I don't want to wait because one I will never go FI or n2o on this motor, two I'm sure Hondata has done as much as they can as far as n/a tuning fuel/iginition maps in this ECU program and three, damn $900 is a lot of money to be spending on software to play with your car :)

I hear you bro thats what I did I will not go turbo so I got the flash now and I am just trying to pick out the right exaust header and waiting for cams and all that fun stuff. In the meantime hondata makes me very very happy great mod!

welcome aboard guys. =-)
    its an expensive mod but so is a 500 dollar exhaust etc etc.

These are my confessions Zero Three Si's Avatar
    I still think it's complete BS to charge 600 bucks for a simple stroke of the "hitting the enter button" to copy an ECU.

Originally posted by Zero Three Si
    I still think it's complete BS to charge 600 bucks for a simple stroke of the "hitting the enter button" to copy an ECU.
    Two points:
    1. Hondata spends ALOT of money on research and development for these upgrades. It is very difficult to hack into modern engine management systems, to even understand the coding. Then,- from there on they spend even more time and money trying to optimize this engine even further, to do a better job with volumetric efficiency and timing than Honda did when they developed the system. Believe me, its real difficult with these engines because they are already so efficient, you can slap on an intake and throttle body and gain 40 horsepower on a small block chevy because they are so inefficient from the factory (plus they have almost three times the engine displacement). On these iVTEC cars guys are spending $200 on intakes that gain you 5 horsepower and $500 on cat-back exhausts that make basically no horsepower gain at all, because the engines are already tuned so damn well from the factory and we only have 2 liters to work with.

2. Hondata is doing this for a very limted market. As a matter of basic economics, they will not sell very many ECU upgrades for the Civic Si. Honda does not make that many Si cars to begin with. Of those that do sell, very few owners will ever hear of Hondata or know that such an upgrade exists. Even among those who lurk or post here on ephatch, which I would consider to be the most rabid Si fans in the whole world, how many of us have bought this product? When volume goes down, price goes up exponentially, and to stay in business Hondata has to pay for yet MORE research and development every time Honda changes their engine programming in a new model year. My huch is that Hondata isn't exactly laughing all the way to the bank with these $600 upgrades. I bet they are struggling just to stay on the research and development curve, just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Zero Three Si
    What about all the R&D time they spent on making that "enter button" happen? :D I'm sure they've spent countless hours with trial and error of the fuel/ignition maps, VTC adjustments, throwing the car on the dyno each time, setting the rev limiter for optimum performance etc etc. It shows they've done their homework because the base RSX's rev limit is only 7300 RPMs because of it's dual runner IM setup, lacking the upper RPM edge the Civic Si has. If they were just another company, they'd be like "Oh they're both K20A3s we'll just make their programs identicle." but they didn't. Thumbs up for Hondata regardless. And yes $600 is expensive but so is a brand name fart can cat-back that won't do you much good if that's all you had :p

You know, it's all gravy for Hondata, once the kinks were worked out. Being a first off pioneer and helping along the way for the K-series tune was a great learning experience. That said, we all know that a flash is just a flash and costs nothing to do. Hondata has overhead, continuing R&D and customer service to worry about. We will all have the oportunity to be super tuners when the programmable ECU is released. Somehow I think many of us with that much control over the engine will be doing more damage than good. Time will tell. When you can develop a better tune and market it to the exclusive market that Hondata has, then you will be a contender. This is why good tuning, which is generic enough to support most standard bolt-ons, is not only paramount but well worth the price. ;)

All I have to say is that seeing the tac go to 8000rpm makes me smile everytime!!! I know its only 7700 but seing that 8000 is priceless well worth the money

where did you guys go to get the flash from hondata?

also, what the heck is the immobilizer?
    Last edited by ImPo Skyline; 01-11-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Originally posted by ImPo Skyline
    where did you guys go to get the flash from hondata?
    also, what the heck is the immobilizer?
    Here is the link for the dealers...
    http://www.hondata.com/contact.html

The immobilizer is our only real defense for anyone who wants to steal our car. There is a chip in the key that sends a signal to the ECU, from there it tells the immobilizer you are straight. Then it allows fuel to flow. Without the programmed key, car won't start. Didn't you read the manual? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information