Close

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I also asked about the thing that records stuff since what my friends told me didnt make sense. My bf wanted me to look into it:

Me: im screwed
    Me: i dont want my car anymore
    Tim: YOU SHOULDN'T BE
    Tim: I DON'T SEE HOW IT'S YOUR FAULT
    Me: whats worse is it only has 14000 miles on it!
    Tim: ARE THEY KNOWN FOR WEAK TRANNY'S
    Me: i put 10000 (-730 that came on it) when i was working
    Me: yeah
    Me: but they havent issued recalls yet
    Me: i think they should
    Tim: THEY WON'T
    Tim: TRANNY WORK IS TOO PRICEY
    Tim: TO RECALL 30000 CARS
    Me: yeah but everyone is having problems
    Me: 13000 i think
    Tim: YEAH WHATEVER
    Tim: THERE'S A BILLION CIVICS
    Me: lol
    Me: okay what records stuff on your car
    Me: someone told me obd2
    Tim: YOUR PCM
    Tim: ODB2 IS A SCANNER
    Me: oh ok
    Tim: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING TO ABOUT THIS STUFF
    Tim: ??
    Tim: JEEZUS
    Me: lol
    Tim: YOUR PCM IS A COMPUTER.
    Me: well someone said the odb2 did something
    Tim: PCM STANDS FOR POWERTRANE CONTROLL MODULE
    Me: something about emissions and such
    Me: would it be able to tell them stuff?
    Tim: ODB2 IS THE SCANNER THE DEALER USES TO READ THE CODES THAT YOUR PCM THROWS WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG
    Me: oh okay
    Me: that makes more sense
    Tim: MOST NEW PCMS KEEP A LOG OF ALL THE CODES EVER THROWN SO THE DEALER CAN TELL WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE CAR
    Tim: HELPS THEM IN WARRANTY CASES
    Tim: STOP ASKING RETARDS CAR QUESTIONS

ephatch member
    Originally posted by oldschoolimport
    redlight_si this for you!

it had 100k on it when I bought it, 92 turbo. #2 synchro was going out along with the clutch. put a factory clutch in and had a toyota tech build the trans. 3k later #2 and #3 synchro. during the tear down I checked the turbo and it was wobbling, BAD. pulled it and had it built. changed the shift linkages, also changed the master and slave cylinders out of hope that was part of the problem. 1k later turbo bearings went out, 2500 later, tranny crunching. built trans again. lasted about 2k and I sourced out a salvage trans. meantime, the turbo shaft was loosening, bad bearings. upgraded to supra specs in turbo. salvage trans went out. sold it with a new supra ct-26 and the trans on a pallet. I have driven 5 speeds for 14 years, and I am convinced some part of the shifting mechanism ie cables, mounts, something, was tweaked and contributed to the problems with the trans. the turbo turned out to be the shop that built it. the car eating trannys I feel was inherent to that particular car.

and I also destroyed a ram powergrip clutch, fingers collapsed and pulled the hub springs out warping the hub, and ram "offered" to f*ck me with a new clutch for wholesale when they are "supposedly" guaranteed to last 3 times stock. Quote the raven, "NEVERMORE".

one more thing, my neighbor has a 02 camry se that the brakes loose pressure, 9 times now. toyota can't fix it, and say for his wife and kids to drive it til they can duplicate it for the 3rd time at the dealership. thats on top of the 9 times they have had it happen to them. thats why I say f*ck toyota. rattles are nothing, at least our brakes work.
    So you bought the car knowing it possibly needed some trannsmission work and a clutch? What was the previous history of the car? Were you given the service records? Sounds like the car was very abused before you got it,but thats the risk you run buying a used car. There was a TSB for the transmission though for "M/T - Improved 2nd & 3rd Shift Feel".

As far as the Camry,what do you mean by losing pressure? Does the pedal go all the way to the floor? Make a grinding noise? Ive read up on this and have been reading some complaints about these brakes and they pretty much all say the same thing and seem to be consistent of the ABS working. Thats what I get out of it anyways.I remember when I had my 2002 Civic EX and one night I was driving around and went to use my brakes and all of the sudden they just kinda gave out and there was a weird grinding noise. I was freaking out. I later found out that was actually the ABS working. Duh. But anyways let me know if your neighbor ever gets this "fixed".
    Last edited by RedLight_Si; 12-10-2003 at 04:01 PM.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    when I bought the car, 2nd was notchy, so I knew it would need the trans built. my old roommates dad was a toyota tech and he built it for cost of parts while it was out for the clutch. no biggie. the clutch I figured was just time. it was a cousin of mines and I found out lots after I bought the car. I still think that after the trans was built with new synchros and bearings and 2 new gears it SHOULD have been right. not my problem anylonger.

the camry, the brake pedal hits the floor. no resistance. the master cylinder has been changed, booster has been changed, the calipers are dry. the dealership has duplicated it twice there. the trouble shooters for southeast toyota could not duplicate it for the third time, so jay was told to take it home, stick his wife and kids in it and hope for the best. he has since gotten a lawyer. "get the feeling-toyota" their slogan, not mine.

14s without a Hondata
    Your parents must really love you
    No my parents love me naturally. but i pay for my car and insurance in NEW JERSEY. I work hard unlike half the spoiled brats on this board. I work 30-40 hours and go to school full time. I pay for that too. If i want an Evo 8 I'll work my ass off and get it. I'll max out cards if i have to. I'm that dedicated to my cars because no matter how shitty my life is going I know i can go out and enjoy a nice ride in a beautiful car. Driving is my form or meditation. Why does everyone go straight for attacks rather than suggestions?

Well we're mad about our cars. Because they havent all experienced what we have, they feel that we abuse our cars and have to defend Honda. I just did the same thing to a few people not too long ago. Now my car is out of service. = P

What goes around comes around.

I'll love Honda again if they fix my car under warranty. Otherwise I'm selling it and getting something else.

Finally pics showing why my car is fucked up. Someone please explain to me what happened.

Originally posted by bratkat64
    Finally pics showing why my car is fucked up. Someone please explain to me what happened.
    woah. While reading through your explantions of what happened, my initial impression was that your clutch went out completely.

After seeing the pics, it looks like what would maybe happen if you shifted not using the clutch at all.

That entire housing is jacked.....something else happened. If you truly don't know what it was, I will bet you money that your room mate or the person you are sharing the car does. They aren't telling you something because trannies go out, but they don't create random holes like that.

I run my car hard everyday and have no tranny problems at all. Why is everyone having all this crap? My steering wheel doesn't squeak. My shocks aren't blown (progress). Only rattle I had came from my aftermarket exhaust which hit the sway bar. I've ran the strip at least a dozen times and the axles are good as new. Only things I've worn out so far on the ep would be tires, and even then I'm working on having my 3rd full set which I don't really need, maybe a clutch this spring.

I'm missing the panel underneath my steering column (i think honda took it when i got my alignment done) and i have a ding near the back from some douche. Other than that my car is 10X better than the day I bought it.

If you can find an rsx-s tranny for cheap, I would jump on it. That's just me.

Problem is I wasnt driving when it happened so I have no idea. He looked like he was doing everything fine. My car had been acting a lil weird but my bf said it was fine and since this was my first manual I was like okay and went on. = P
    Last edited by bratkat64; 12-10-2003 at 10:50 PM.

i drive an rx7.
    oh my good lord. that is crazy. ive never seen a tranny do THAT before..

Heh dont ever let anyone else drive ur car.

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar
    Originally posted by bratkat64
    Heh dont ever let anyone else drive ur car.
    thats rule number one for a car that you love...
    (not bashing, i have learned this shitty lesson myself after letting a stupid bitch (no pun) drive my ep...)

I dont let NO1 drive my car, i dont care who they are, or how great of a driver they are....

as for the photos in question, that $hit looks dumb fucked up, someone wasnt doing their job while they were shifting...I honestly cant see anyother way that could have happened...

Eww that hurts.. That is the 2nd Tranny i have seen look like that since i have been workin for a car dealership.

The first one was a Ion Sedan with manual trans. They took the car off the truck and the gear arm went thru the casing and made a set of holes that were the size of 1/2 dollars, The car only had 8 miles on it.

bratkat, you are a victim of someone's outright ass-hattery. They should pay for it, its blatant.

Heh I still dont know what happened. My friend was pulling out of the parking spot and we stopped at a stop sign. Then he put it into first and tried to go - all it did was rev. We both were like WTF. So he tried again. Still just revved. I was like lemme try, maybe ur not doing something right. My car wouldnt do a thing but sit there and rev. So we pushed it into a parking spot since we were still in the publix parking lot and called a tow truck. We thought it was leaking oil cause thats kinda what it looked like, but no, it was some transmission stuff. Called a tow truck and 4 days later - wham - pics and no answers.

The dealer said that it happened instantly and we had to be at high speeds (like 50 mph +), but we weren't. So, I don't know. I've had people tell me it can happen going from 4th to second, but we didnt do that cause he only made it to second. I've had people tell me it had to be factory defect cause of how it happened. It could be done by ragging on the car, it could have been set wrong from the factory, ect. If I was driving and could explain what happened better, I would be like yeah "blah blah blah" - but I didn't feel like driving. So my friend drove. He's driven my car a 100 times before and this is the first problem my car has had. Tires do NOT count as a problem.

So who knows. My car is pretty much f*cked. I still owe money on it and I bet they won't cover it under warranty. Oh well. I didnt want a manual anyways.

Originally posted by ConeCrazy02
    No squeaks whatsoever with the jics on.
    word.

same here... no more creaks with the mugens.

I do have rattles in the glove box and a couple other spots... and I warped/destroyed my rotors/pads in under 15000 miles... but I race the car and I am starting to expect some of that to happen. Quality is relative to need.

Last edited by trk; 12-11-2003 at 08:50 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information