Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ephatch member

why do they call it an ep3?

sorry for the newbie question...i used to own a 89' crx with a b16a. the used to eat, drink, and breath the crx....but it got totalled and now im a civic owner and i know nothing :o so if you could spit some info to me, that would be great. thanks guys!

Unicron loves the shocker seattlecivic's Avatar
    You were a Civic owner when you owned your... "CIVIC CRX" ^^:*

I think.. and im taking a stab... it is the chassis code...

EF was a civic CRX
    EG was for a civic 92-95
    EK was for a civic 96 - 2001
    EP is for now...

someone do corrections if i am out of line. Hope it sorta starts some sort of answer

Originally posted by seattlecivic
    You were a Civic owner when you owned your... "CIVIC CRX" ^^:*
    actually... a CRX is not a civic per say... back in the day a CRX is a CRX... sorta like a del sol is also a "civic" but it is as a "del sol"

Yeah its the chassis code. I didnt know what it meant either. I thought EP stood for Europe cause it was maid there.:o

why call it by its chasis code though? just a thought...

if thats the case, why do they call a chassis a chassis?
    Formerly known as Plainol2k2si

(shrugs shoulders) So we could have EpHatch.com?

Originally posted by 513n179
    why call it by its chasis code though? just a thought...
    most car are called by their chassis code if not engine code. like for example...

the famous Toyota corolla or known as the Trueno, is called a 86, the term 8-6 is for the chassis code that they made for that car, FR layout... such and such.

BCNR3x is the GTRs, but most commonly as the R32/R33/R34 those as the code are the model numbers not based by Chassis, but by model of year and such....

I guess that people juss call it that because it sounds more of a "speciality" name for that car, like when people call a EP3, people who know what they are talking about KNOWs it is a civic that is a hatcback that is made from year 02-0? Instead of just ordinarally calling it "some civic"

for our Hatch backs... im not too sure of EF, but the

92-95 EG6
    96-01 EK9
    02-? EP3

because our cars are made in England the VIN starts with SHH instead of J from Japan. that is the only way on the car that we know it was made in England and not in Japan. The code does not determine where a car was made.

Chassis mean body... so it is the base body plating of the car... so wouldn't be reasonable to call it by the name the cars base is called by?

"Championship White" onEswEEtEp3's Avatar
    It's the 4th, 5th, 6th digit # on your VIN plate (EP3) and I don't know WHY???:o
    Last edited by onEswEEtEp3; 12-30-2003 at 10:38 PM.

Originally posted by Chinaboy
    most car are called by their chassis code if not engine code. like for example...

the famous Toyota corolla or known as the Trueno, is called a 86, the term 8-6 is for the chassis code that they made for that car, FR layout... such and such.

BCNR3x is the GTRs, but most commonly as the R32/R33/R34 those as the code are the model numbers not based by Chassis, but by model of year and such....

I guess that people juss call it that because it sounds more of a "speciality" name for that car, like when people call a EP3, people who know what they are talking about KNOWs it is a civic that is a hatcback that is made from year 02-0? Instead of just ordinarally calling it "some civic"

for our Hatch backs... im not too sure of EF, but the

92-95 EG6
    96-01 EK9
    02-? EP3

because our cars are made in England the VIN starts with SHH instead of J from Japan. that is the only way on the car that we know it was made in England and not in Japan. The code does not determine where a car was made.

Chassis mean body... so it is the base body plating of the car... so wouldn't be reasonable to call it by the name the cars base is called by?
    whoa dude, you typed a lot... but it's still just a civic :p hahaha

from my knowledge, i figure the whole chassis code thing came about when the JDM shit hit US shores. i remember way back in the import days we would call them DX's, LX's, EX's and of course SI's... a HACTH was a HATCH, a COUPE was a COUPE or 2 DOOR, and a SEDAN was a SEDAN or 4 DOOR... i remember when veilside kits, supra spoliers and ugly ass paint jobs were the shit, but these cosmetic things are now considered as RICE to most and JDM seems to be the only acceptable means of modification for most to stomach these days... though JDM will never be played out, i think JDM style has. the market is flooded with JDM replica crap, and makes me wonder what's next for the world of import's...

but like you said, only those who know the code would ever know what you're talking about. majority of civic owners refer to their cars as just a civic, and the smaller population of import heads will refer to them as EP's... oh well.

:)

whoa i typed a lot too, oops...

Yeah, I think it's all because of the import craze that everyone's calling everything by its chassis code. All the younger guys always think they're so cool spitting them out.

BUT, I have to say, it is a lot easier to say something like, "I just got an S14 today," instead of saying, "I just got a 240SX today," and having the other person start asking, "What year is it, is it the one with the flip up lights?" It's just simpler to use the codes for those in the know. ;)

ahem...

"EH2 is the USDM 1.5L 92-95 CX/VX/DX hatch
    EH3 is the USDM D16Z6 93-95 Si hatch

the JDM 92-95 hatch chassis codes are as follows..
    EG1 hatch/sedan/CRX w/ D15B motor
    EG2hatch/sedan/CRX w/ B16A motor
    EG3 hatch/sedan w/ D13B motor
    EG4 hatch/sedan/CRX w/ D15B motor
    EG6 hatch/sedan/CRX w/ B16A motor
    EG7 hatch/sedan w/ D13B motor
    EG9 hatch/sedan/del sol/CRX w/ B16A (SIR II) motor"

Originally posted by Chinaboy
    because our cars are made in England the VIN starts with SHH instead of J from Japan.
    Yeah, I like to call my car my "black sheep" because the first part of the VIN is SHHEP....:D

Guess I'm just weird.. :(
    I put the phat in Ephatch.

Originally posted by StoopSi
    Yeah, I like to call my car my "black sheep" because the first part of the VIN is SHHEP....:D

Guess I'm just weird.. :(
    that's pretty cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information