Close

Will a new head unit help the stock speakers at all?

Well, I can't stand the stock HU and speakers that I currently have and want a new HU. In my last car, the HU helped the stock speakers sound a LOT better. I was wondering, are the ep's stock speakers going to improve that much? I've heard from many people that the ones in their off the lot are laughable and very crappy (I can tell by hearing them ). If I probably won't get much better sound, I plan on getting new speakers. Which brand should I get if I decide to get new speakers? Thanks for the input guys.

Actually yes.
    Stock speakers sounds soo much better with aftermarket headunit.

Re: Will a new head unit help the stock speakers at all?

Originally posted by FurY
    Well, I can't stand the stock HU and speakers that I currently have and want a new HU. In my last car, the HU helped the stock speakers sound a LOT better. I was wondering, are the ep's stock speakers going to improve that much? I've heard from many people that the ones in their off the lot are laughable and very crappy (I can tell by hearing them ). If I probably won't get much better sound, I plan on getting new speakers. Which brand should I get if I decide to get new speakers? Thanks for the input guys.
    Id upgrade the speakers before the head unit. Stock speakers are horrible.

Both are pretty bad. I installed HU first, and noticed a nice difference. After changing out the speakers, I can't imagine how I used to listen to the stock setup.

Save up $400-500 upgrade all speakers and head unit at once.

you'll be tremendously amazed at the improvment.

then save up for 1 sub and and a good amp. sub's sound great in a hatchback.

-aj-

Unicron loves the shocker seattlecivic's Avatar
    Go ahead and just save your money. The deck and speakers are fine... just imagine some people out there that are running in beaters with only 1 or 2 speakers and an AM/FM radio ;-)

You've got it made bro!

The stock rear speakers are injection molded plastic and won't handle much power. With an aftermarket head unit or amp you may end up blowing them. I would get a nice head unit with a built in amp (not the best way to go, but easy to install) and 4 speakers.

I'd go with the hu first then speakers. OR if you have enough $ then hu and speakers. I don't think you can blow the stock speakers with a aftermarket hu. My hu is rated at 60w x4. But remember when they rate hu power it's max so probally arround 30 w rms? I'm still using my stock front speakers. I listen to my music loud and they haven't blowen. I think you have a higher chance of blowing your speakers (stock or aftermarket) with a stock deck cuz your under powering the speakers.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar

Re: Re: Will a new head unit help the stock speakers at all?

Originally posted by fsugatorbait
    Id upgrade the speakers before the head unit. Stock speakers are horrible.
    Def. Have you even looked at the OEM ones? THey are some of the worst I've ever seen. Cheesy plastic housing, terrible paper cone and a magnet that barely even exists.

Get a decent set with high sensitivity and you'll be good for a little while ;)
    Mel

ephatch member
    Over the weekend I put a new Alpine CDA-9825 and hooked it up to the stock separates in the front (rears have been replaced already). I'm old and have been too lazy to replace the fronts. Pulling door panels and such will have to wait until I feel like it and my budget improves for some real separates...

Anyway, the 18 watts per channel in the relatively cheap Alpine ($160 from Crutchfield!) allowed for a bit more headroom, but sound quality didn't improve all that much (speakers were used at full frequency range). It was an improvement however with just a touch more clarity and detail.

Then, earlier this week I hooked up a small Soundstream 45 x 2 amp to the front separates (full range, no crossover to limit bass frequency input). Again, small audible improvements (as one would expect) and better head room. The stock speakers will be adequate for moderate listening levels, but as the bass level and overall program levels increased (all eq settings at flat) the stock speakers audibly distorted.

I've got to goof with the gain settings on my amp to insure I'm not running to much input signal to the older Soundstream (made before 4 volt pre's where common), but those cheap stock speakers do not handle the heavy duties of loud playback levels. The tweets are a bit brittle and lifeless to my ears. They show their true colors (i.e. they are cheap drivers) when you listen closely.

But, all that being said, the stock speakers will do if you're on a budget and don't have to listen at higher volumes. I've heard worse stock systems in my life. I feel that the stock head unit is maybe pushing 5-10 watts per channel and runs out of breath pretty quickly, especially on bass heavy material (where you obviously need the most power). The FM section seems poor on the stock head unit. I agree with others in that replacing the head unit is a good first step.

Jay
    03 Si
    Last edited by Jay H; 04-14-2004 at 09:25 PM.

i put in a 50x4 watt pioneer HU in over the weekend, and to my highly untrained ear it sounds consideribly clearer and louder. also the added equalizer changibility makes it a little more fun, if only to play with. not too bad overall, and definatley worth it since i had the HU just laying around.

Well I got new speakers throughout today and will be getting an alpine HU in about 2 weeks for my b-day. I have to say I was trying not to laugh when I held the stock speakers. The cone felt like construction paper!! Anyways, I can already hear a much crisper/cleaner sound from the new setup and I can't wait to make it even better with the alpine :D

Originally posted by sirdee
    I think you have a higher chance of blowing your speakers (stock or aftermarket) with a stock deck cuz your under powering the speakers.
    Yeah I always blow out my speakers when I listen to music on the lowest volume! Keep your volume on max and your speakers will last forever.

LOL

Thread Information