Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FUCK you! I like 'em!! esmith13's Avatar
    not necessarily. I'm on my stock clutch still. I have 40.700mi on my car. 4 people learned to drive stick in it. I'm putting down 267WHP according to my last dyno (I'm bettin i'm mid 270's now) and i can dump the clutch off the line at 5,000rpm with falken azenis sagged to 12psi at the strip and not melt the clutch.

Yeah i would do better if i upgraded, but The turbo set me back $4600 including install. I bought a used OEM clutch on clubrsx for $43 including shipping. Now I'm savin for the clutch kit. But hell, might as well buy a LSD and have it installed at the same time while the tranny is out. So it may be a bit before my clutch is upgraded. You may be able to do the same....

Think of how much money in labor you would save having the tranny only ripped out once....

That is - if you want a LSD...

Eric

so you say a stock type-s clutch and flywheel and ill be good?

Stay away from ClutchMasters...they're quality control is slipping...literally!
    I broke in my brand new Stage 3 clutch for 2000 miles and 1st trip to the track it slipped....and I'm putting down maybe 180hp, it's supposed to hold well over 300hp...
    Complete waste of $530.

Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
    Stay away from ClutchMasters...they're quality control is slipping...literally!
    I broke in my brand new Stage 3 clutch for 2000 miles and 1st trip to the track it slipped....and I'm putting down maybe 180hp, it's supposed to hold well over 300hp...
    Complete waste of $530.
    Sad to hear, and this is a great thread thanks to folks like Eric :D Moved to engine :)

from what ive heard the best clutch for the buck is the exedy stage I:)

Adam -

If the stage IV is only 150% of stock holding power isn't a stage IV good for 300HP? so wouldn't a stage III be barely good enough for you?

Also did you get clutchmasters stage III for the Si or RSX-S? I assume for the S with your swap?

I dunno man, steve has a Cm stage IV and is beatin the shit outta it with no ill effects... Maybe the preassure plate with the stage III is stock like?? what % stiffer was the clutch pedal rated for stage III? Stage IV is only 25% stiffer than stock.

Peking,

Thanks for brownie points. ;) I aim to please.

Eric

ephatch member
    Thanks for everything you guys had school me on this topic. It helps a lot.

I plan on getting a new flywheel this fall after I boost along with a custom clutch setup. I heard the stock Type S flywheel is 15 pounds. Would it really be that bad to drop the weight to....say 10 pounds with an after market fly wheel? I know kepping the revs up on boost is a good thing but I want my car's power delivery to feel more direct. Does any body know of an after market flywheel for the K-series around 10 pounds? Or would I have to go custom with that to?

Cybernation makes a lightened aluminum flywheel that is 8lbs and costs $395. It is a RSX-S Specification. I know of one person using it in a '02 EP3. He is happy with it but in stop and go traffic it is more difficult to get into 1st without stalling since the flywheel does not have as much centripidal force/momentum behind it.

You have to think of it that way. The heavier the flywheel, the less feathering of the clutch you have to do to get into gear and the longer the clutch will last. Assuming that dumping into gear is unacceptable like it is in traffic I mean.

Eric

PS: also keep in mind that the stock Si flywheel is 7lbs heavier than the RSX-S flywheel (22lbs if your right about the RSX-S being 15lbs). So what you want cuts the weight down to less than half!! I already got my type-s OEM fly in the mail - if there is intrest - I will take it out of the box an weigh it.
    Last edited by esmith13; 04-28-2004 at 06:38 AM.

Originally posted by KimchiBoy_TypeR
    I plan on getting a new flywheel this fall after I boost along with a custom clutch setup. I heard the stock Type S flywheel is 15 pounds. Would it really be that bad to drop the weight to....say 10 pounds with an after market fly wheel? I know kepping the revs up on boost is a good thing but I want my car's power delivery to feel more direct. Does any body know of an after market flywheel for the K-series around 10 pounds? Or would I have to go custom with that to?
    Best bet would be the Type R flywheel, 10.25 lbs.

But then you have to find a Type-R clutch kit.... Aftermarket no less.

Would be cheaper/easier to pay and have some weight removed from a OEM type-s flywheel or drop to the 8lb aftermarket one.

Don't you think???

Eric

E, Im 99% sure that the type R and type S are interchangable so you could just use a type S clutch, OEM or aftermarket.

sweet then! I did not know that. I remember seeing a site that sold a clutch for a "Type-R" but that may have just been listed that way because it simply wasn't certified for a type-s. Probably don't mean it won't fit.

Anyone here with an actual K20A swap we can ask to lock down that last 1% ?? ;)

Eric

Originally posted by esmith13
    Adam -

If the stage IV is only 150% of stock holding power isn't a stage IV good for 300HP? so wouldn't a stage III be barely good enough for you?

Also did you get clutchmasters stage III for the Si or RSX-S? I assume for the S with your swap?

I dunno man, steve has a Cm stage IV and is beatin the shit outta it with no ill effects... Maybe the preassure plate with the stage III is stock like?? what % stiffer was the clutch pedal rated for stage III? Stage IV is only 25% stiffer than stock.

Eric
    I got the RSX-S application Clutchmaster Stage III which is supposed to be 110% holding "OVER" stock...
    Stock = 200hp
    200hp + 110% = 420hp (350whp)...roughly.
    It says that it would hold turbo or 100 shot N2O.
    I have neither...it's a stock engine w/ CAI and midpipe...180whp max!

There is NO excuse for a brand new, properly broken-in Stage III kevlar clutch to slip under ANY circumstances on a basically stock engine.

When I called CM they said they've been having some problems with the pressure plates on the k-series kits and have changed them recently from (if i remember correctly) 1700 lb unit to a 2100 lb unit.

They're supposed to replace this once i take it out and send it to them....we'll see...regardless i'm putting in an ACT and just gonna sell the replacement they send me.

REEEEEEALY??

lemme know what your gonna part with it for.

I bet you $$ they are sending you a stage IV pressure plate for your stage III clutch. Maybe that explains why the stage IV CM kits I know of are are holding very nicely. I don't know anyone with a stage I, II, or III.

Eric

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information