Close

Thinking about taking my car in to be serviced due to 1st-2nd gear grind...

Hey everyone. I've noticed lately that everytime I shift from 1st to 2nd from about 4500+ RPM I seem to grind. I only have a little over 5300mi on the car and I've only had it for 2 months. I know there have been problems with grinding and other transmission problems in our EP's but I'm thinking about having it serviced. I have an appointment on saturday for an oil change and I was wondering if this is covered by warranty? If so, I want to get it taken care of. Has anyone else had this problem and taken it to Honda? Were they able to fix it? Also, if I decide to do this, should I take out my short shifter before taking it in? I do not see how it would affect grinding gears but I don't want to get crap from them either. Thanks.

They will most likely just say they can't reproduce the problem. And if they do, they will blame it on the short shifter to avoid dealing with it.

Originally posted by skooba
    They will most likely just say they can't reproduce the problem. And if they do, they will blame it on the short shifter to avoid dealing with it.
    Well what should I do? I know it can't be good to grind like that, and I would prefer to address this problem while I'm still covered under warranty.

Anyone? :confusem:

well you can try taking out the SS and taking it to honda. but heres what will happen.

If you take it out, they will say they can't replicate the problem.
    If you leave it in, they will say that the SS is the problem and since you installed aftermarket parts on the tranny, that they will no longer warranty it.

Take the SS out, keep it out for a while. Bring in your car numerous times to the dealer. Take a drive with the mechanic, then take a drive in a new one from the lot. MAKE them see the difference, and then MAKE them fix your faulty tranny. A few people have had luck, but many have failed. Good luck.

I didnt read the whole thread but the EXACT same problem happened to me last year.

I would go past 4k and 3rd would grind, so they said they couldnt reproduce it, i was like whatever lets go for a ride, i had the guy push the car; he brings it up to 4k and shifts i'm like no bitch faster! and he gets it to grind.

Long story short, they overhauled the tranny, the 3rd gear syncro ring was cracked and needed to be replaced,

so 1500 bucks under warrenty later, it was fixed, but if you have a SS remove it because they will weasel out of it that way no doubt.

But the SS could cause your syncros to get fucked up if your shifting faster then you can push the clutch down to spin up the syncros, but they don't have to know that.

Thread Information