Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up

Ive used one for quite a while now and I dont believe its the sponge or the webbing that creates swirls as much as it is the tiny granules of sands and grit that gets stuck on the sponge, could happen as easily with a mitt or a cloth... that stuff is ultimately the stuff that causes the swirls... I recently asked a buddy of mine who used to detail cars in Florida and he suggested that if I ever get swirls to use a product like the Maguires swirl remover, said it works well... the sponges are priced right too because I think the intention is to use them a couple of times (washes), and then chucking them out... almost like a disposable item really...

ive always been told not to wash a car with a sponge because it doesnt give whatever is on your car a place to go, and instead use one of those wash mits that look kinda like a mop.

ive got that on teh back of my wash sponge thingey, thankyou maguires...

i usually just use bug and tar remover on the bugs and bird poop before i wash, but i havnt done it in a while, ive gotta get some tiny tar specs off my doors...just sucks how long of a process washing my car has become because of my extreme attention to every little detail...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

clayed and waxed- awesome results

Bought a clay bar and did the car myself and then threw a coat of high end wax on it, great results with the clay bar... I am going to do the other vehicle with it and do it every year, car felt showroom smooth afterwards and I threw the wax on and it rained yesterday, the beading action was impressive... I bought the armourall mitt with the shag-carpet spaghetti strands on one side and the bug sponge mesh on the other, worked well, didn't leave any scratches.

I use a sponge that looks very similar to those in the kitchen for the dishes... and I prefer to keep the sponges in the kitchen. I'll stick with micro fiber for my car...

ephatch member
    THose bug sponges will introduce all kinds of micro marring and swirls. Best bet is to use some quick/instant detailer, and a microfiber cloth to remove the bugs each night/morning when you get home. The longer they stay on the paint the more chance you have of the acids in the bug guts eating into the clear coat.

And also a good coat of wax doesn't hurt, makes it harder for the bugs to stick. If you can, wash the car once a week, and remove the bugs ASAP, same with bird bombs, they will etch the clear too and cause discoloration.

Quote Originally Posted by nrengle View Post
    And also a good coat of wax doesn't hurt, makes it harder for the bugs to stick.
    +1

A good coat of wax is a definite must-do. Even when we were waxing our boots in the military for that OCD shine, I reminded the younger guys that its purpose was to be a "renewable surface" -- you can damage the wax a bit, but it's still just damage to the wax and not anything underneath.

Claying is great for removing bug and tar residue.

If your clearcoat has swirls, it's time for a machine polish / buff. Take it to a professional -- that stuff is no joke.

I've used a fabric softner sheet on the ep with a little warm water it works wonders! Of course I waxed right after.. but it really takes them right off.
    Last edited by ShadySi; 07-02-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information