Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knocking Noise

Knocking Noise

I finally got my engine and tranny back in and went for a test drive today. There is a knocking noise coming from my front pass side wheel and it goes faster when I do and slower when I slow down.Drive shaft ? Can anyone help me this has been a 5 month procces and I want to drive my baby!

since we are a FWD car, we do not utilize a driveshaft (RWD).

check and make sure your lugs are tight.

Well I have a drive shaft and an intermediate shaft on the passenger side of my motor. Or a cv joint if you would like
    Last edited by The new Paul03; 04-18-2008 at 11:01 AM.

ephatch member
    I have a squealing/ticking noise coming from my drivers side when I slow down or accelerate, but not knocking. I've checked the lugs and they are on tight, it's been that way for a few months now and all seems fine for now. Not sure what would cause a knocking sound though.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    I have a squealing/ticking noise coming from my drivers side when I slow down or accelerate, but not knocking. I've checked the lugs and they are on tight, it's been that way for a few months now and all seems fine for now. Not sure what would cause a knocking sound though.
    check out my thread in suspension, i have a clunk, or knocking sound if you will and ive been thinking about it...

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43053

linky

possibly a rack noise? but speeding up and slowing down might be cv joint... check your axle boots, make sure those arent torn or havnt slipped...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

i reccomend changing axels

probably a cv shaft, anyone got a quote for this guy? and dont go to honda, too expensive!

check the cv boots or the tie rod.

Jack that side up off the ground and install a jack stand. Now grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock the wheel. Any movement means the wheel bearings are shot.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Tire dosent move at all. I noticed that there is play In my cv joint by the intermediate shaft. When a neighbor was helping me remove the axles he dropped the pass side axle and let the joint by the intermediate shaft pop out. I opened it and tried to put it back into its original spot but there is no way for me to know if it is in the original spot I know that when you disassemble them you are supposed to mark where each roller went. Do you think that this is my problem that they are not in there original places.
    Last edited by The new Paul03; 04-19-2008 at 04:26 AM.

so today I pulled the axle out and I rotated the joint to the next groove but I am still haveing the same problem. Tomarrow I am going to try it again because there are only three bearings trying in all three grooves mabey I can get it right.

just wondering if the engine alignment when you put it back into the car is off. its possible for it to be miss aligned a little and that might be the axle bent more then it should be. are you super lowered too? just trying to explore possible problems

Mine was my CV boot due to the Carbing undercarage brace. BUT that was only due to my turning left/right it would knock. Possible struts are weaking too.

No Im not lowered and all of the mounts went right in so I imagine that the motor is sitting right. Thanks for the help, Im about to take the axle out again and rotate the bearings again.

Just showing you how I aligined my engine, it was off in this picture.
    Using a long stright edge you can place it over the towers and look at it that way.
    high Hp cars that have solid mounts will have to have the mounts tightened more offten.
    I usally tighten mine up before and after time attacks.

Here is the finished alignment.

I used the tranny side mount thats bolted to the tranny to swing the engine back and had to loosen all the mounts to where there super loose. and the final product looks like this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information