Close

Exclamation HELP burnt clutch smell

hey guys hopefully you can help me out as you have always have before.
    so recently i have been smelling a burnt clutch smell coming out of the driver side near the coin slot thing. it doesnt happen all the time just when i drive for about 20 min it starts to smell. when it does smell im usually driving on the freeway. the smell is really strong and have no clue what could be causing this. i just installed brake pads in the front but i doubt that would be the problem.

also when i did change my front brake pads i notice that the stock pads were unevenly worn down. on driver side and passenger side both the inside pad (the one with the indicator) was worn all the way down but the outside had only gone down about half.

any suggestions would help guys thanks

ephatch member
    it might be ur caliper stuck and burning ur pads...

I was driving my friend mercedes suv and smelled something burning and smoke coming out, scared the hell out of me.. it was his brake pads burning off

Wurd.
    Just an idea, but do brakes heat up if you don't push the pedal? If so, you could try to go for a drive somewhere you don't have to brake very often or hard, and when you smell the smell again, coast to a stop and feel for heat around your brakes. I know when I've driven the car hard and stop in my driveway I can feel the heat coming from the wheel well. (I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion... here they come...)

BTW, uneven wear could indicate your brakes need servicing (lube the sliders... I haven't done this on my EP, so I could be wrong here too... :sorry:, I'm trying to be helpful! :noidea:)
    Last edited by shanewdude; 04-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.

could be your brakes bro they smell the same

i dont think so because the smell is only inside the car not outside

ephatch member
    ur vent is opened correct?? or do u have circulate??

alot of times you wont smell it outside, because the smell enters the car as you're driving, and by the time you've stopped and gotten out they arent burning anymore and the smell is gone

This is just my guess that the problem is in your brake system.
    I'd take the wheel off one side of the car and then take the brake pads off that same side. With the pads off see if there is any discoloration on the rotor indicating constant pressure on the pads against the rotor. Check and see if the caliper slides on the pins. When you put it back together make sure that you lubricate the pins with an appropriate lubricant.
    If everything looks good up to this point, check that your master cylander fluid level is not too high and then try to colapse the piston in the caliper making sure to not knick the caliper piston boot,. I've been able to do this even with anti-lock brakes. If that works then re-assemble the brake assembly. If you can't colapse the piston, then you're going to have to find what is holding pressure on the calipers ie master cylander, proportioning valve if there is one in the system or the anti- lock brake portion of the system.
    Good luck with the repair.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    moved to engine section for ya ;)

Quote Originally Posted by shanewdude View Post
    Just an idea, but do brakes heat up if you don't push the pedal? If so, you could try to go for a drive somewhere you don't have to brake very often or hard, and when you smell the smell again, coast to a stop and feel for heat around your brakes. I know when I've driven the car hard and stop in my driveway I can feel the heat coming from the wheel well. (I'm sure someone else has a better suggestion... here they come...)

BTW, uneven wear could indicate your brakes need servicing (lube the sliders... I haven't done this on my EP, so I could be wrong here too... :sorry:, I'm trying to be helpful! :noidea:)
    Or a stuck caliper, if you can smell burning it needs attention.
    Get them looked at by a second person who knows brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybroni View Post
    i dont think so because the smell is only inside the car not outside
    point taken LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jaybroni View Post
    hey guys hopefully you can help me out as you have always have before.
    so recently i have been smelling a burnt clutch smell coming out of the driver side near the coin slot thing. it doesnt happen all the time just when i drive for about 20 min it starts to smell. when it does smell im usually driving on the freeway. the smell is really strong and have no clue what could be causing this. i just installed brake pads in the front but i doubt that would be the problem.

also when i did change my front brake pads i notice that the stock pads were unevenly worn down. on driver side and passenger side both the inside pad (the one with the indicator) was worn all the way down but the outside had only gone down about half.

any suggestions would help guys thanks
    Start with the car cold, and drive it for a few just down the road. Stop, turn it off, get out and FEEL the wheels. Carefully, the one with the dragging brake may be quite hot. If one of them does in fact feel hotter than the rest, that's the brake that's dragging. Just check the wheels. The fronts will normally be a bit hotter than the rears.
    Last edited by slurp812; 04-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.

thanks for all of the suggestions guys. im gona take another look at them this sunday

Thread Information