Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dear chadlington, i have a question.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14434

that amp- a cerwin vega exl-400.4
    and these speakers
    http://www.millionbuy.com/plkdb651.html
    4 polk db 651's
    yay or nay?
    any other cheapo speakers that I could run off that amp with better sound quality?

I know I'm not Chad, but that would be a nice little setup.

Are you looking for the studio or Just lows/mids/hi's ?

well I already have MB quartz tweeters so I'm not looking for a component system. I just want something that'll sound better than the OEM speakers and give me a good range of sound.
    I'm eventually going to do a stealth install with 2 8'' subs.

really i'm just saying, with that amp(because I already ordered it) what would your opinion(a very knowledgeable one)be on which speakers for under 100 bucks a pair would mate good to that amp. And i know that sentence was a hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    well I already have MB quartz tweeters so I'm not looking for a component system. I just want something that'll sound better than the OEM speakers and give me a good range of sound.
    I'm eventually going to do a stealth install with 2 8'' subs.

really i'm just saying, with that amp(because I already ordered it) what would your opinion(a very knowledgeable one)be on which speakers for under 100 bucks a pair would mate good to that amp. And i know that sentence was a hot mess.
    Well.. lets just build something ;) Do the Quart tweets fit in the sail panels?

have room in the budget to buy a (preferably) an Alpine CDA9887? or a poineer 880 (they get touchy and have pico fuse issues)... Lets work on a 3 way active rig you can tune at will ;)

It's MB Quart ;)

oh my bad on the name haha. I always thought they were called quartz because of something to do with quartz crystals being used for old radios; you know, frequencies and such.
    I do not have money for a new head unit at the moment although I could get the CDA9887 at a later date. What are you brewing up in that head of yours? edit: yes they do fit with a little effort, but nothing fits without effort these days, I even managed to keep the OEM grills over them.

Thinking of going fully 3 way active unless, of course, you wanted to run a sub off the other 2 channels, you will need 5-6 channels of amplification, each speaker will have it's own channel of amplification with no passive crossovers.

So I would need a different amp?
    5-6 channels is 1-2 more than the 4 channels the amp i bought has.
    not sure what fully 3 way active means unless you're talking about powering a big tweeter a small tweeter and the midwoofer

Well you would then need a sub amplifier if you don't intend on using the Cerwin for a sub, sometimes a seperate sub amp is not a bad idea becuase it takes stress off the power supply powering the mids/tweets, unless the multi channel amp jas multiple power supplies.

there is nothing wrong though with running a 4 ch for the whole righ though, I have done it many times.

no I will be using a seperate amp or the subs just due to the power they need. They're by no means HUGE powerful subs, they're 8'' 300w rms JL audio 8w7-3
    3 ohms subs so I'm gonna have to get a weird amp for them unless they're 3 voice coil subs in which case I could probably wire them up a magical way to get a 3 ohm load.

edit: Im choosing 8'' subs because Im not looking for BOOOOM BOOOOOM i had that already with a perfectly tuned alpine type r, it was in a bandpass box that according to some internet calculator was doing 19 cycles, 19 cycles of what I'm not sure.
    Last edited by v1c10us; 07-03-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by v1c10us View Post
    no I will be using a seperate amp or the subs just due to the power they need. They're by no means HUGE powerful subs, they're 8'' 300w rms JL audio 8w7-3
    3 ohms subs so I'm gonna have to get a weird amp for them unless they're 3 voice coil subs in which case I could probably wire them up a magical way to get a 3 ohm load.

edit: Im choosing 8'' subs because Im not looking for BOOOOM BOOOOOM i had that already with a perfectly tuned alpine type r, it was in a bandpass box that according to some internet calculator was doing 19 cycles, 19 cycles of what I'm not sure.

LOL, the 8W7 is an awesome sub with great properties, it will do you well, I would own one if I had the depth to accommodate it.

So you have everything you need to do an active 3 way sand a set of mid/bass drivers and a headunit that will do a 3 way crossover

yeah, I do not need my spare tire so I'm going to mount them in opposing directions where the spare tire would go, one facinng the right of the car and one facing the left. They'll be in one box but it'll be partitioned in the middle seperating them, each one will get 3 square inch 7 inch long ports.

btw, you made "19 cycles of what im not sure" red, but then you didnt really elaborate on it, What does that mean?

Cylces = Hertz.

A "Hertz" is a measurement of the speaker excursion movement. 60hz = 60 cylces per second. 120hz = 120 cycles per second.

Whenever you see a subwoofer playing REALLY REALLY low tones, notice how it appears to be moving slower? That's because it is. However it takes great power to reproduce those lower tones linerally as the higher tones.

But that's a whole 'nother topic.

oh. well this spec was something more to do with the properties of the box and the speaker size and the port length and a some stuff called q and some other weird shit.
    I found all the info and plugged it in and thats what it said. 19 cycles.

I'm a nerd I say "Cycles" it's an abbreviation assuming the frequency range is known as in Hz, KHz, MHz, GHz etc.

Don't partition them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information