Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SiCivic2k2
    What he said. :)

Still Around...
    cuz i hitted 130 at 6200
    The Stocker 2k2 Si is supposed to do 125 tops. I had it in the low 120's and that was about all it wanted to do. It *was* hot out, and it only had about 300 miles on it, so I'll take that into consideration. But the R&T guys can do anything they want and they got it to 125 radar'd. Hey 02CivicSI-VTEC, do you have any mods on your car?

ephatch member
    Think about it this way. When you're in gear, there is a solid linkage between the engine and the ground. The ONLY two things that can slip in a manual drivetrain are the clutch and the wheels, So as long as your clutch is biting hard, and you're not smoking off your tires, everything is operating at the speed it should :) the 99-00 Si/SiR was geared even higher in fifth then ours were. (3500-3600 at 60 mph vs. 3100 for the EP)

Just a couple of thoughts: I wouldn't be a bit concerned about the (relatively) high RPM at highway speeds. As others have stated, all the Si's going back to the very first ones, were and are geared "short" (high transaxle ratio) for performance. If they were geared "long," like a LX or EX, it would add at least a full second to the 0-60 time and the car would feel really sluggish at higher speeds. Also, I seem to recall that my '90 and '91 Si's turned 3500 at 70, and I still consistently got 38 mpg, and cars performed flawlessly. The 2002 weighs a lot more than the earlier models, but unless you drive yours like you stole it, I can't imagine it won't get a least 30 mpg.

Finally, adding the 6th speed tranny from the Type R won't cut the RPM at speed. Stated differently, the additional gear is not an overdrive ratio. The 6th speed tranny exists not to improve mileage or adding a cruising gear, but rather to give the enthusiast more options (gears) to keep the engine in an optimum RPM range. That and an additional 40 horses make the Type R a particularly desirable piece. (And, boy, do I wish it were available now!)

SiCivic2k2
    Originally posted by Hondatech
    the 99-00 Si/SiR was geared even higher in fifth then ours were. (3500-3600 at 60 mph vs. 3100 for the EP)
    but the 99-00 Si's had a 8k redline. We only have like a 6700 redline.

punkdork
    Originally posted by SiCivic2k2

but the 99-00 Si's had a 8k redline. We only have like a 6700 redline.
    So proportionally its about the same. Either way this is a bit of a moot point. The only solution to get a lower rev is to do some work to the tranny and it'd most likely have to be custom.

SiCivic2k2
    I 2nd that opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information