Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    A dry, freshly built engine takes 6.7 quarts. A oil change is 4.7 quarts. That is with a stock oil filter, install a S2k filter and you will need about 5 quarts for the oil change.

Check your oil level at EVERY fuel stop per the owners manual. The VTC and VTEC systems require a VERY high oil pressure, this oil pressure creates alot of oil mist as the oil exits the main and rod bearings. This misted/vaporized oil is drawn through the PCV valve into the intake and is burned off. Some oil's are affected by this condition more than others and when the car is driven hard, the oil level will drop significantly in only a thousand miles or so.

NEVER take the oil level check after the engine has been sitting for awhile as gospel, it must be checked within 30-60 seconds of engine shut down or the oil can flow out of the main oil galleys and distort the actual oil level reading.
    Awesome information for people to actually read and understand. i wish everyone actually took the time to read.
    be jealous :P

good for the owners tht have a manual. thnks for sharing the info. bump

Just did an oil change about 20 min ago and I put 5 qts in with a K&N oil filter. On a side note tho, when I drain out my oil I always just put it back in the empty oil qts and take it to autozone for them to recycle, this time tho I noticed that I was about 1 1/4 qts low. This is kinda odd compared with how it's been in the past. Would this low of a level cause any damage to my engine? I also drained the catch can and it was about a third of the way full which, once again isn't typical. Maybe my engine is burning more oil?

Getting on it hard will vaporize a bunch off.
    Last edited by EVOKIN; 02-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Thread Information