Close

K23 swap... Even possible ???

Hello guys I was wondering if this swap was even possible on an EP3... Obviously it's a close to impossible swap due to its made for an AWD chassis... And none of the k-Serie trannys will mont on it... I have a 2005 Element EX which is the AWD edition of them... Now the question is will the AWD k24 transmission from the element bolt on the k23 engine...??? "probably" also can the bar goin to the rear differential be eliminated to make this swap possible to fit on the EP3 ???

AKA Purple94coupe Euro-Yellow-Ep3's Avatar
    good question bro, im in for an answer

Quote Originally Posted by d0rad0EP3 View Post
    Hello guys I was wondering if this swap was even possible on an EP3... Obviously it's a close to impossible swap due to its made for an AWD chassis... And none of the k-Serie trannys will mont on it... I have a 2005 Element EX which is the AWD edition of them... Now the question is will the AWD k24 transmission from the element bolt on the k23 engine...??? "probably" also can the bar goin to the rear differential be eliminated to make this swap possible to fit on the EP3 ???
    One of the first things I've heard, all the motor mounts are completely different. I've worked on a few of them, I would imagine the turbo setup from them could be done without too much extra work. The TMIC is pretty hot too!

no, can't be done in ep. the block alone only fits the accord/tsx(?) transmission as far as FWD goes. which don't mount to our chassis. unless you had mounts made, which noone has.

the turbo section wont fit even if you did get the mounts made. it sits really high. the TMIC def doesn't fit. hardly enough room on top of our motors as it is.

awd is only possible if you want to run an element or crv awd transmission and, without a tunnel, running the driveshaft to the rear and relocating the gas tank to the trunk so you can fit the rear diff back there. you can bypass the fluid coupler/real-time awd transfer case and put a solid axle to the rear for real awd. it works fine that way. but this would require stock suspension or some sort of lift, like crv/element suspension to raise the ep enough for clearance.

depending on how you look at the project, who would settle for such an odd "non-vtec" 2.3L motor, and who would sacrifice roll center for awd capability...

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    no, can't be done in ep. the block alone only fits the accord/tsx(?) transmission as far as FWD goes. which don't mount to our chassis. unless you had mounts made, which noone has.

the turbo section wont fit even if you did get the mounts made. it sits really high. the TMIC def doesn't fit. hardly enough room on top of our motors as it is.

awd is only possible if you want to run an element or crv awd transmission and, without a tunnel, running the driveshaft to the rear and relocating the gas tank to the trunk so you can fit the rear diff back there. you can bypass the fluid coupler/real-time awd transfer case and put a solid axle to the rear for real awd. it works fine that way. but this would require stock suspension or some sort of lift, like crv/element suspension to raise the ep enough for clearance.

depending on how you look at the project, who would settle for such an odd "non-vtec" 2.3L motor, and who would sacrifice roll center for awd capability...
    Yeah i think its better of getting a k24 and boost it up
    Thanks you much...

K24 swap is so much easier. The k23 is in essence a k20 stroke (86mm crank) with k24 bore (87mm).

Ive had to reduce my k23 'inventory' with the move im going through, but i kept the head, IN and EX manis, the IC (which will work as a sidemount over the trans), and all related EVAP/VAC hoses and thingamajigs. Im determined to find a way to use OEM boost on our k20/k24 variants... its just gonna take more time.

Boosted k24 is the obvious answer. Can't argue that! But OEM boost is a pretty cool idea that Honda hasn't had until recently. It would be cool to see done. I won't be trading in my k24 anytime soon to attempt it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    K24 swap is so much easier. The k23 is in essence a k20 stroke (86mm crank) with k24 bore (87mm).

Ive had to reduce my k23 'inventory' with the move im going through, but i kept the head, IN and EX manis, the IC (which will work as a sidemount over the trans), and all related EVAP/VAC hoses and thingamajigs. Im determined to find a way to use OEM boost on our k20/k24 variants... its just gonna take more time.
    i would love oem boosted compenents. having set up the way honda has, would make it impossible on ep3. but, re routed everything, sounds like a winner. i still don't think the top mount will work, unless the oem turbo is tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    i would love oem boosted compenents. having set up the way honda has, would make it impossible on ep3. but, re routed everything, sounds like a winner. i still don't think the top mount will work, unless the oem turbo is tiny.
    The OE top mount will work as a side mount (flat and level with the hood), just a little higher than the top of the VC directly over the trans. In the EP the fuse box will be in the way (but could be moved). You cant use the k23 IM/TB... you can use any other k series IM/TB though. See it like this... 5 inch charge pipe from turbo on the back of the head to the IC (inlet is on the sides of the IC) and then from the IC with 5-8 inches of charge pipe (depending on mani of choice) to the IM/TB.

The issue is accepting the limitations of the size of the OE turbo and the OE bypass valve (on the IC). For me i just want it to have fast spooling/intercooled OE boost... im not looking to make a ton of power from it like you can with aftermarket setups. Its more about the trip, than the destination for me.

thats how mine started out. 4psi spring. then 7. then EBC to 14. =]

Yeah and im soo afraid of that. I spent all the time and $ on something i cant really do anything with if i want more. Which it COULD always go in the Accord for the woman to drive... but she dont need no power. That bish is psycho behind the wheel!

I dunno. So many choices with turbo. The JRSC was so easy, and i have bigger shit to focus on for right now...

Thread Information