Close

Weak radio signal with aftermarket head unit??

I called up JVC today to trouble shoot my headunit issues and I think i got them figured out. Just gotta clean up the contacts where the faceplate connects and for my bluetooth adaptor. Anyways, me and the guy from JVC trouble shot all the issues ive been having with my head unit except one. Since i installed my headunit, my radio signal has been weak, like...really weak. Theres a radio station i used to listen to thats in St. Catherines (about 100km from here), and with the oem head unti i can pick it up clear as can be. But with my jvc unit, i have issue picking up a local station that broadcasts from 20km away. I spent most of the time just listenin to cds because of this.

Has anyone else had issue with the strength of their radio singal?? The guy from JVC said the factory headunit might have a signal booster/antenna amplifier built in to the unit its self.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    The guy from JVC said the factory headunit might have a signal booster/antenna amplifier built in to the unit its self.
    It does. You have to plug in the antenna to the head unit's antenna receptacle... And then crimp the "power antenna/amplifier" lead (blue, IIRC) from the vehicle harness to the head unit's wiring harness. It should improve your reception.

Depending on the actual head unit's reception specs (measured in dBf for FM) it may or may not get better than the OEM. I know Alpine is absolutely $hit when it comes to radio - they want you to add the HD or XM module.
    Last edited by introvert; 03-13-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: wrong color

Yeah somewhere in under the dash is a powered antenna booster. you need to connect the power for the antenna in the car and it should improve radio reception. I don't know if JVC has a power antenna output, but Pioneer did not have one so I used the amp remote.

LOL, when I first installed my head unit I forgot that friggin bugger as well, I just chalked up the piss poor reception to living in the mtns. LOL
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by introvert View Post
    It does. You have to plug in the antenna to the head unit's antenna receptacle... And then crimp the "power antenna/amplifier" lead (blue, IIRC) from the vehicle harness to the head unit's wiring harness. It should improve your reception.

Depending on the actual head unit's reception specs (measured in dBf for FM) it may or may not get better than the OEM. I know Alpine is absolutely $hit when it comes to radio - they want you to add the HD or XM module.
    I thought that blue wire always powered up amps... lol
    my reception is horrible too but that wire is hooked up to my amp, is there another solution or just split the wire
    (connect it to the antenna booster from the car itself and and my amp turn on supply)
    doesnt help that they stole my antenna :(

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    I thought that blue wire always powered up amps... lol
    my reception is horrible too but that wire is hooked up to my amp, is there another solution or just split the wire
    (connect it to the antenna booster from the car itself and and my amp turn on supply)
    doesnt help that they stole my antenna :(
    Just split it. Use crimp caps.

Quote Originally Posted by he_li48 View Post
    Just split it. Use crimp caps.
    so it goes into the harness that comes from the car or is this antenna booster a seperate wire aside from the harness?

My radio has always been really weak w/ my alpine, I didnt know there was anything that amplified it... I didnt install it myself cause the installation was free from where I bought the stuff from.. Is there any pictures that might help me out. Id like to hop on this soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    My radio has always been really weak w/ my alpine, I didnt know there was anything that amplified it... I didnt install it myself cause the installation was free from where I bought the stuff from.. Is there any pictures that might help me out. Id like to hop on this soon!
    yeah ive never heard of this antenna booster either, til now, in for some pics too

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    yeah ive never heard of this antenna booster either, til now, in for some pics too
    I have no idea where the booster is but it is in the service manual. (page 22-99) I have the metra harness kit so I don't recall the color of the actual car antenna wire according to the manual it is yellow/green. All I know is when I hooked up my stereo, I did not connect this wire and radio reception sucked. Another member told me there is a antenna booster that I probably did not hook up. After removinng the radio again and connecting the wire it works 1000x better, not better than oem but at least all my FM is coming in clear.

Every vehicle that has one of those short antenna's has to have a reception amp. I went and re-did the head unit connections this past fall and properly connected the antenna amp, LOL I never really worried about it because I had XM, but after I cancelled that crap I had to resolve the FM issue.

can you snap a pic or 2 of the wires doug?? I got my new metra unit in the mail today, so now just gotta wait for my new bluetooth mic and ill be set. Also, when you installed your deck, did you use the cage? or did you use the little plastic clips? I'm just curious because I don't have my cage anymore and I really dont understand how the clips are gonna support the deck properly when its installed.

I will check in the morning, my lazy arse is planted in the house(been taste testing the paint thinner)

Thread Information