Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Worried about my EP

Basic background: 2003 Saint Silver Si, 49k on it, I'm the 2nd owner, had it for 8 years bought it at 17k. (Very well maintained)
    12/24/13 I was rear-ended, the guy hit the passenger side taillight as he swerved. Tore of 1/2 of my bumper, crushed the back passenger side, put a wave down the rear quarter doing about $6,000 worth of damage.

So Friday 2/7 I get the car back. It was freezing out and the car was making all sorts of noise (really bad belt noise plus something like a bird cage being destroyed) I left the car there and let them know it didn't make the noise before. Supposed to be no damage to the "frame" or damage to the exhaust (which of course hangs right there)

When you start the car the noise is the worst, the car even died after 10-15 seconds of running... There is also a burning smell too.

Seems to be coming from the upper left corner when looking under the hood. The noise is constant most of the time, the only time I didn't hear it is when I'm driving and I take the car out of gear, as long as it's rolling and not in gear it's quite.

It is still at the body shop and I have an appointment this Thursday at my regular guy to check it out, I'm just freaking out now while I wait...

Anyone have a clue what it could be?

Did you drive it after the accident at all?

Damn, bad luck, hope he paid for the damage.

I drove it about a block and a half home after I got hit, no noise.
    Then when I dropped it at the shop I heard it for just a split second.

The guy that hit me is fully covered so it's on his $.10 at least. My buddy owns the body shop so hopefully it will all work out.

I'm surprised they didn't total it.

They wanted to!! I talked them up to $9k for its value..

Damn. Well, lets hope it gets worked out. I have seen much worse EP3 repaired.

It looks great now! Just sounds like crap.

I had it in about 2 weeks prior to the accident, mechanic said it was flawless :( if the body shop can't figure it out it goes back to him, I'm sure he can fix it, it's just who's paying?

I would hope that the other guy would be paying, all this came from the accident.

I am sure its probably something simple, like something rubbing.

I'm hoping your right, I can't imaging it's anything to major. I'm pretty sure I wasn't in gear when I was hit.

Plus I did get a lawyer after the crash to cover my own ass, Progressive seemed really shady from the start.

left side of motor? check your pulleys. may be completely unrelated to the accident or caused by the accident. i had a situation where i heard a squeal that would come and go. then car died suddenly but would come and go until finally the motor locked and car would not start. Turns out the idler pulley bearing was shot, and the noise i heard was it going out. it came to the point where the belt would pinch down on the pulley which would no longer turn, therefore the motor unable to turn over. Just something to keep in mind if its coming from the left side looking at the motor. not something too obvious but worth a check regardless if your belt looks good and does not have rub marks
    black 02 si

In an accident, lots of things can shift and move which can cause other things to bind. Even if it's not visible. I wouldn't take your car back at all until it is completely fixed. It sounds like the other guys insurance is paying, so they need to make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3ster View Post
    left side of motor? check your pulleys. may be completely unrelated to the accident or caused by the accident. i had a situation where i heard a squeal that would come and go. then car died suddenly but would come and go until finally the motor locked and car would not start. Turns out the idler pulley bearing was shot, and the noise i heard was it going out. it came to the point where the belt would pinch down on the pulley which would no longer turn, therefore the motor unable to turn over. Just something to keep in mind if its coming from the left side looking at the motor. not something too obvious but worth a check regardless if your belt looks good and does not have rub marks
    when the idler bearing went, was the sound a higher pitched humming noise? I think I'm having the same issue, its the most nosiest when its a cold start

yeah almost like a squeal. sounded like a belt at first, so i suspected the belt but when i checked it there was nothing wrong. then it went away. eventually turned into a low humm and grinding. if you see pink dust, thats pretty much metal shavings. idler pulley was an inexpensive fix as long as you know to look for it.
    black 02 si

Okay cool thanks, it's been getting louder an louder so I figure it's only a matter of time before it goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information