Close

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    I will be interested in this.

thanks for continued interest everyone...once things slow down at work and i dont just collapse when i get home, ill get working on this...plus i need to wait until my 90 day review next week to bring up the topic of using our CNC machines and the plastic printer i run to prototype it.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Kimber Raptor II Drunken Yak inc's Avatar
    I'm a solid works guy myself, with access to a Faro digitizing arm, and have thought about designing my own rear caliper bracket to fit a front big break kit on the rear of the EP3's... What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by talonXracer; 02-28-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Yak inc View Post
    I'm a solid works guy myself, with access to a Faro digitizing arm, and have thought about designing my own rear caliper bracket to fit a front big break kit on the rear of the EP3's... What are your thoughts?
    cool man! i rock solid works and have developed full vehicles in alias autostudio tools. my only copy of solid works currently is 2005 and a 2006 student edition. haha

my thoughts on that is that front brakes on the rear are a waste since the weight transfers to the front when you brake and type r/type s brakes are more than enough for an un-lightened ep on the street. if we are talking on the track, a front brake upgrade and rear pads plus adjustable brake balance controller are more than enough. I mean hell, on my 86 crx race car, ill be using wilwoods on the front and go-kart brakes on the rear...rear brakes are simply there to balance braking, not to stop it, you just dont need the force of a large caliper/disk setup on such light weight cars
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Ah man, you really should find away to upgrade to 2012! I'm primarily a surface modeler and design the front and rear of RV's. I'm also trained in rhino, but I fucking hate that program so I don't use it.

It is a complete waste functionally, but one thing I've loved about super cars, is the large calipers front and rear... So my wanting to do this is for pure ascetics. I don't know what it is, but I've always loved that look, and there is only one company that makes a rear kit for our cars and it's way over priced.

Would the increase in pad size be too much of a detriment to the brakes balance? What about the parking brake function, how would that be affected?

Never used alias... Whats it like?

oh i know, i really want to take a crack at solid works surface modeling. My main concern will be how frustrating it will be because alias is the hardcore surface modeler of the auto industry and I can do anything i want in it. Its a really primitive UI, but the math is so hardcore that you can do some really intense class-A surfacing. I've gotten prototyped parts out of it so good that i just needed to sand and I had perfectly controlled surface reflections.

As for the brake balance, as long as you had a way to adjust the bias, it would not be a problem, but literally, the difference between oem 02/03 usdm front brakes and ep3r front brakes using the usdm proportioning valve is a big enough difference for me to spend the money to buy the type r/type s prop valve and 15/16 master cylinder to balance them out properly...a neutral, balanced braking system makes a huge difference when it comes to the performance of a car. I absolutely despise a setup where application of the brakes causes an adjustment in the attitude of the vehicle.

also i would imagine with a front brake setup, you could no longer use a parking brake.
    my ep is white...

Solidworks ftw! Couldnt imagine modling up a car on that i find it hard to use the 3d design (weldments) i just do minor stuff on it (compared to what it can do) all the hard modeling goes to the drafter lol... i wanna learn how to use the cnc's at my work...
    Last edited by talonXracer; 02-28-2009 at 07:51 AM.

theres no way i can learn CNC at my job...between "butterball" and "JR" who run the machine shop, they'll never let me in there to learn anything...luckily im the only guy who knows surface modelling or how to run the 3d printer other than the owner of the company...

i've seen some vids of people modelling cars in SW, but its always cars like lambos, which are very angular. I couldnt imagine modeling something like an aston in it, you'd need a proper surface modeler to do it class-A...

maybe one of these days i'll get around to posting up some of my automotive stuff.

i prefer hands on, traditional, clay modeling over 3d computer, honestly.
    my ep is white...

Well, it was a good idea while it lasted lol! I might have to check out alias...

Here is a some pics of a prototype R/C car I mocked up a year or so ago.

Our primary designer had said for years that SolidWorks isn't a proper surface modeler... After showing him my capabilities he no longer says that... I have yet to have any issue making any kind of surface in SolidWorks.

That top pic is what i meant, idk how u ppl do that... i can def model the bottom pic... anywho at my job a cnc machinist just quit so now its 1 dude running the mills... might be an opportunity to ask but idk cuz i dont wanna go from an engineer to a machinist haha...
    Btw u guys SW certified?
    Last edited by tallblondkid; 03-04-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Yak inc View Post
    Ah man, you really should find away to upgrade to 2012! I'm primarily a surface modeler and design the front and rear of RV's. I'm also trained in rhino, but I fucking hate that program so I don't use it.

It is a complete waste functionally, but one thing I've loved about super cars, is the large calipers front and rear... So my wanting to do this is for pure ascetics. I don't know what it is, but I've always loved that look, and there is only one company that makes a rear kit for our cars and it's way over priced.

Would the increase in pad size be too much of a detriment to the brakes balance? What about the parking brake function, how would that be affected?

Never used alias... Whats it like?
    For a parking brake you would have to replace the oem cable setup with a hydraulic unit and run custom lines. Not too much extra work if you were to put in a bias controller aswell

Quote Originally Posted by gamma6 View Post
    That top pic is what i meant, idk how u ppl do that... i can def model the bottom pic... anywho at my job a cnc machinist just quit so now its 1 dude running the mills... might be an opportunity to ask but idk cuz i dont wanna go from an engineer to a machinist haha...
    Btw u guys SW certified?
    Nope! Took the test once and the computer crashed just as I was modifying my assembly. I was able to rebuild the assembly in time, however, I didn't have time to build the parts of the assembly from scratch so I used the ones that I built before the crash. That wasn't the way the test wanted me to do it to so I failed, even though I was using Cati's computers and it wasn't my fault for the computer crash.

Quote Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE View Post
    For a parking brake you would have to replace the oem cable setup with a hydraulic unit and run custom lines. Not too much extra work if you were to put in a bias controller aswell
    Interesting... I might have to screw around with it this winter to see if my idea is feasible. Thanks for the info!

I'd love to see your automotive models! We really don't model anything by clay anymore, haven't really done that in years... We have one of the ten largest 5 axis CNC machines in the country. We can cut an entire Class A front end on the machine with room on the table to spare. We also have a smaller one for smaller projects (motorcycle fenders, street sweeper parts, etc. etc.) and a small 3 axis one for aluminum molds.

thats pretty awesome ^^^ we dont have any cncs close to big enough to do automotive size panels. ill try to get some pics loaded up online this weekend.

theres no replacing alias for surface modeling, you just cant get the love and finesse into a surface without it. GM uses alias and as far as i know every other automotive company does as well, though they all have their own proprietary rendering programs.
    my ep is white...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread Information