Close

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Haven't read the rest of the thread -- I thought about doing a shift gate myself a few months ago, but when I got down to the mechanics of it, I found that a shift gate will not work on the stock shift assembly, the distance between different gears is too close together to have any sort of metal barrier between them.

good to know but ill have to confirm this myself...if they are too close i may still be able to come up with a design that is still a plate to replace the stock shift boot.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    good to know but ill have to confirm this myself...if they are too close i may still be able to come up with a design that is still a plate to replace the stock shift boot.
    I think anything that'll replace the boot would be cool haha
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

Absolutely, even something with a cutout rectangle (basically a shift gate, without the inner "prongs") that is stainless steel, with like an "Si" logo lasercut into it would look nice & tasteful.
    The problem I ran into with that made me abandon the project entirely (too lazy to source parts for it) is that you need some kind of back stop so that no dirt & debris can get into the shift linkage.

I guess this would also be a problem with a regular gated shifter... I wonder how other companies solve this? I think something like bristles (so the shifter can move, but dirt & debris isn't heavy enough to pass through) could be a solution.

Feel free to re-measure and make your own observations.
    I made a rough cardboard cutout (not very accurate, hah), and found that I couldn't make the inner spokes of the gate thin enough that there was a wide enough margin between gears to account for the degree of wobble in our shift linkage.
    Basically, you can wiggle the shifter back and forth in 1st, to an extent, and this overlaps the same area that you can wiggle the shifter in 3rd, and so on to 5th, and likewise on 2nd, 4th and reverse on the bottom, eliminating the ability to have a "prong" dividing each gear slot.

Older ferrari's/lambo's with gated shifters, there was absolutely 0 degree of shift wobble in these cars (which is one reason why actual gated shifters, where the shift gate is functional and not aesthetic, are so disliked in terms of use -- they look good, but are a bitch to use.)

Laser cutting metal is a bitch because requires extra work, id probably just mill any letters or an "Si". every extra operation like an si logo is going to add cost. I will add it if it looks good, and/or people are willing to pay for it. ill offer them with and without the Si probably.

I have the corsport shifter bushings which would be required for install of this shifter regardless of how it ends up working out. the rounded square opening would be cool honestly. Again, ill be considering many different designs, and theres no reason i wont be able to even offer multiple designs.

as for keeping dust out, the stock dash isnt exactly dust tight but a lot more would get in if it were open. I know where to get those bristles you mentioned, we use them on some products we produce for a client at my job. Id have to cut, drill, and tap the back side to install them, but i can do that. the other option is that you reverse install your stock shift boot on the backside of the gate without the plastic top that holds the boot onto the taper.

ya, im just glad this wont be a bitch like a real shifter...

Everyone i am sorry this is taking so long, i just got some equipment moved into my appt and i am looking into purchasing a small table top CNC that i could use to produce these parts, which will reduce cost a lot. either that or ill have to run them at work which is much more difficult.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

I have the corsport shifter bushings which would be required for install of this shifter regardless of how it ends up working out. the rounded square opening would be cool honestly. Again, ill be considering many different designs, and theres no reason i wont be able to even offer multiple designs.
    I have the corsport shift bushings, too, there is still a lot of play.

I am looking forward to what you can come up with, you seem to have a good grasp of what is ahead, I'm just offering my own rationale from when I attempted this, albeit you sound a lot more motivated than me, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeStrange View Post
    I have the corsport shift bushings, too, there is still a lot of play.

I am looking forward to what you can come up with, you seem to have a good grasp of what is ahead, I'm just offering my own rationale from when I attempted this, albeit you sound a lot more motivated than me, haha.
    aluminum shifter base bushings, and cable bushings + buddy club shifter = no play :)

You make anything and i will buy! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by apexracing View Post
    aluminum shifter base bushings, and cable bushings + buddy club shifter = no play :)
    The play is all in the pivot in the oem shifter. The short shifter is what solved the play. Either kind of bushing just makes the passing through the detents and gear teeth feel more direct. The play in my shifter does bother me, but I love the stock throw and feel so much. I may end up buying a spare oem shifter and start playing with it to see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by apexracing View Post
    iEnvious. I need a buddy club shifter.

Buddy club shifter has been d/c'd, and not everybody has one... RedBaron did say that he was going to try to make his own... if he figured out how to do that, and included a gated shift gate with it, I bet you'd get a lot of people chomping at the bit to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeStrange View Post
    iEnvious. I need a buddy club shifter.

Buddy club shifter has been d/c'd, and not everybody has one... RedBaron did say that he was going to try to make his own... if he figured out how to do that, and included a gated shift gate with it, I bet you'd get a lot of people chomping at the bit to buy it.
    It WAS discontinued but they brought it back, revised..
    With what new features? IDK, but it's back on shelves..

Hey everyone. Have not forgotten about this, work is just nuts, and I found a woman that tolerates me and supposedly enjoys my company.

I kinda fell off the shifter project, though as of recently, I have the chance to get back on it because of some machines I am using at work. I am planning on getting started on the actual prototyping in the next few weeks, actually taking measurements, etc. first prototypes will just be laser cut plastic to get the pattern/opening down.

Also, I have been working on a diffuser project as well. It would be a more universal design, but it will work on the ep. We will see, that is a long ways out.

Oh and I do have the ability at work to possibly build an all aluminum+spherical shifter setup, but that will be expensive as hell, and take a ton of development.
    my ep is white...

Hey everyone. Have not forgotten about this, work is just nuts, and I found a woman that tolerates me and supposedly enjoys my company.

I kinda fell off the shifter project, though as of recently, I have the chance to get back on it because of some machines I am using at work. I am planning on getting started on the actual prototyping in the next few weeks, actually taking measurements, etc. first prototypes will just be laser cut plastic to get the pattern/opening down.

Also, I have been working on a diffuser project as well. It would be a more universal design, but it will work on the ep. We will see, that is a long ways out.

Oh and I do have the ability at work to possibly build an all aluminum+spherical shifter setup, but that will be expensive as hell, and take a ton of development.
    If you need spare stock shifters I can donate and ship you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    If you need spare stock shifters I can donate and ship you mine.
    Ill make sure i keep that in mind, i didnt want to ask that of anyone, but it would be a really good project to take a stock one apart and replicate all the parts. I mean, combine that with corsport shifter bushings and the hybrid racing cables, and you've got the closest thing to the old school solid shift linkages like in the 84-87 and 88-91 civics/crxs

plus i could always build dash and mount kits for kseries swap cars so they can have dash shifters
    my ep is white...

Well in that case, just PM me your shipping address and I can get it out by tomorrow morning when I go to UPS, I have other stuff I have to ship elsewhere too.
    Last edited by zzfinaldropzz; 04-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread Information