Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

a2 head a3 block?

i was thinking of dropping a a2 head on my a3 block, what kind of gains would i expect with i.h.e kpro and the a2 head? also anyone know what kind of tune i would use for this setup? would a type s a2 tune work or?

Please, please please get the a3 out of your head. Don't waste the time swapping and tuning.

Just save up and do a swap.

If you're set on an a2 head do it on your swap... PLEASE

im not doing a swap im boosting my a3 i have the whole setup i just want to know what kind of gains i would have with an a2 head. Im doing a 50 trim 10 psi setup.

A boost setup is one of the few times the A2 head on the A3 really shines. You will see gains as well going NA but alot of work to swap the head just to get to the level of a bone stock typeS with your existing periphials.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Is it me, or are the nipples in your avatar uneven?

If your going boosted, any time you increase the airflow dynamics of the motor you will make power, as long as the fuel is there.
    Last edited by civic_k20a#; 01-05-2009 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    Is it me, or are the nipples in your avatar uneven?

If your going boosted, any time you increase the airflow dynamics of the motor you will make power, as long as the fuel is there.

Good eye! Those puppies are un-even, takes extra effort going from one to the other.......................one is pointing up and out, the other is pointing down and in, one confused girl...LOL !

swapping the head onto the A3 is similar to putting lower compression pistons into the A2 as far as boost goes. (though cast not forged and the crank has smaller main bearings, lighter rods) excellent results have been obtained with ceramic coated A3 pistons at moderate boost levels.

they are unevenly amazing lol. well an a2 head should be a direct bolt on to an a3 block, i have kpro that should be all i need. If i did a complete a2 swap id have to get lower compresion rings, pistons, rods etc, just to be able to boost moderate levels on that motor. As in the a3 for 10psi all that i have to do is get a cometic head gasket and maybe head studs. I know if i do any more than 10 id have to get alot more upgrades. But i have heard people boosting 15 on a stock a3 without problems.

ephatch member
    on a completely stock a2, people are putting down 450+hp. You wouldn't have to swap internals. Tell us your power goals, not psi goals and we can better tell you what you need to reach them.

Why go with the cometic gasket? Nothing beats a OEM head gasket and that is a fact. Now the ARP studs are most certainly worth every $$$

What the A3 guys are running for boost and what you will run is like comparing apples to oranges, that 3rd cam lobe will be a kick in the pants then!

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    VERY lengthy topic, VERY recently about this exact same question.....

http://www.ephatch.com/forum//showth...=gearhead+geek

im not aiming high for now with my stock a3 i should be putting down 270whp on 10 psi with this precision 50 trim setup im doing.

well i'll post my whole setup im planning on running and you guys tell me what would be the best way to put down more power. So far i got.

Precision SC turbo 50 trim
    Turbonetics wastegate
    hks ssq bov
    emusa intercooler w/ 2'25 piping
    skunk2 intake manifold
    2'5 downpipe
    K-PRO

With this setup on 10 psi im hoping to do 270whp, now what i planned on doing later was getting an a2 head, with skunk2 internals, stage 1 turbo cams, springs, lifters, retainers. Then cometic head gasket, apr head studs, 3'' custom exhaust. This i'm hoping will give me 320whp without messing with the bottom end. Also i'm probably going to need a stage 2 or better clutch, i've heard everyone saying stock clutch starts slipping past 300whp.

ephatch member
    skip the skunk2 turbo cams. If you do the headswap you can definitely hit 320hp, problem is that the rods and pistons from the a3 bottom end won't last long.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    I have an A2 head with Z3 cams and valvetrain that I have nothing to put it on now. pm if you wanna talk.

Quote Originally Posted by xep3tuner View Post
    well i'll post my whole setup im planning on running and you guys tell me what would be the best way to put down more power. So far i got.

Precision SC turbo 50 trim
    Turbonetics wastegate
    hks ssq bov
    emusa intercooler w/ 2'25 piping
    skunk2 intake manifold
    2'5 downpipe
    K-PRO

With this setup on 10 psi im hoping to do 270whp, now what i planned on doing later was getting an a2 head, with skunk2 internals, stage 1 turbo cams, springs, lifters, retainers. Then cometic head gasket, apr head studs, 3'' custom exhaust. This i'm hoping will give me 320whp without messing with the bottom end. Also i'm probably going to need a stage 2 or better clutch, i've heard everyone saying stock clutch starts slipping past 300whp.
    I would worry about 2 things, the rods, and the valvesprings. If you have both, compare the size of the a3 spring to a a2 or z3 spring. There is a reason why they are bigger. Again, take a comparison of the rods as well. If you ever have held an a3 rod in your hand, you'd be scared to run 2 psi, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information