Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    It entirely depends. There are so many variables. How many miles are on the engine? How often was the oil changed? How hard was the car driven? What climate was it driven in?

There is no magic number where an engine lets go. If you plan to boost a stock motor, you have to be prepared for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    I did. He also asked about the stock internals on his motor, which I believe is an A3, correct? I was told by 3 different senior members on here that the A3 will SAFELY hold 300, but not to go any higher.
    He's rockin' the K20A type-r engine, not the K20A3.. Yes you are correct on the K20A3, but he no longer has that engine.

K20A, K20A, K20A!!! Stock internals on the... K20A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blah1219 View Post
    Actaully he's talking about the type-r engine with higher compression and aggressive cams. I wouldn't take it past 400 personally. I've read around that type-r cams are difficult to tune under boost.
    Thats basiclly what the tuner told me also, so i was just checking that he wasnt trying to blow me up lol. And thanks for correcting those that thought i was refering to a a3. I think i might just do a rocking n/a minor build for now. Just do a manifold and nice header, some new injectors like the RDX ones. I was doing research on that and was looking around 240-250 whp on a good tune.

Then just save for boost and to do it right. Thanks for all the feed back

Quote Originally Posted by 04SiSpeed View Post
    Thats basiclly what the tuner told me also, so i was just checking that he wasnt trying to blow me up lol. And thanks for correcting those that thought i was refering to a a3. I think i might just do a rocking n/a minor build for now. Just do a manifold and nice header, some new injectors like the RDX ones. I was doing research on that and was looking around 240-250 whp on a good tune.

Then just save for boost and to do it right. Thanks for all the feed back
    I would use a RRC intake manifold with a max bore throttle body or a 70mm TB. Hurry and pick up a IM, so I can sweep that PRC off of you. Possible trade for my BNIB function 7 LCAs w/ cash or ep3 part on top of course on your side. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my engine so they are just laying around.

ok thats cool man either way it will be within the next month or a lil longer i am just saving for the injector clips for the RDX injectors. damn things are almost as much as the injectors themselves. But i will deff take u up on grabbing the mani off me. Thanks for the advice btw

dump the k20a and get an a2. 500+ yes preaze. or sc your a and make it a creamer

Quote Originally Posted by EP3Casas View Post
    dump the k20a and get an a2. 500+ yes preaze. or sc your a and make it a creamer
    That k20a could be a killer on a supercharger. Switch the cams to the a2 cams for easy tuning. You have the 9k ready revs on the spot and safely. He's also got the LSD 6 speed 5.1 fd. -drools- not good for turbo but I bet it would be a blast from the past on a charger. 500+ is not streetable.

A bone stock JDM k20a is nasty as hell with a JRSC. I street tuned one for a friend (10psi, 93 pump) and honestly... the throttle response was fucking insane with the ITR 4.7 trans. I capped his rev limit to 8500 to help protect the charger... as he was seeing a little belt slip up there... he was using a 6 rib (it was all he could find locally).

He saw 7.5psi on the low cam, and it pulled like a bolt-on k24a1. The high cam was just retarded. I did a 5th-3rd gear downshift at 45mph and dropped the hammer (4 people in the car) and it snapped like a wild bull. No hesitation. Raw anger.

That ride makes me rethink turbo...

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    A bone stock JDM k20a is nasty as hell with a JRSC. I street tuned one for a friend (10psi, 93 pump) and honestly... the throttle response was fucking insane with the ITR 4.7 trans. I capped his rev limit to 8500 to help protect the charger... as he was seeing a little belt slip up there... he was using a 6 rib (it was all he could find locally).

He saw 7.5psi on the low cam, and it pulled like a bolt-on k24a1. The high cam was just retarded. I did a 5th-3rd gear downshift at 45mph and dropped the hammer (4 people in the car) and it snapped like a wild bull. No hesitation. Raw anger.

That ride makes me rethink turbo...
    Do it!! hahah I thought the type-r transmissions came with a 5.1 FD? Or is it just the CTR?

Just out of curiosity what would a supercharger setup for a a3 run....?(new or used) Keeping the motor bone stock.. or is that a bad idea lol srry for the noob question

Registered User mitchlikesbikes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ89 View Post
    Just out of curiosity what would a supercharger setup for a a3 run....?(new or used) Keeping the motor bone stock.. or is that a bad idea lol srry for the noob question
    most will tell you to just swap first, but if you plan to keep the a3 here's how it goes down:

the majority get k pro right off the bat which is gonna be like 800-1000

then the jrsc(used) + extra mods (intake, exhaust, header, etc) could be anywhere from 1000 to 3000 and beyond depending on how far you take things (which is kinda limited on that blower and a stock a3)

then you have the option of a legit tune which could be anywhere from 200 to 500 or more

if any of my numbers are off the real experts can chime in haha:)

Quote Originally Posted by Blah1219 View Post
    Do it!! hahah I thought the type-r transmissions came with a 5.1 FD? Or is it just the CTR?
    The newer CTR has the 5 FD. The DC5 ITR and the EP CTR had 4.7 FD.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
    most will tell you to just swap first, but if you plan to keep the a3 here's how it goes down:

the majority get k pro right off the bat which is gonna be like 800-1000

then the jrsc(used) + extra mods (intake, exhaust, header, etc) could be anywhere from 1000 to 3000 and beyond depending on how far you take things (which is kinda limited on that blower and a stock a3)

then you have the option of a legit tune which could be anywhere from 200 to 500 or more

if any of my numbers are off the real experts can chime in haha:)
    Thanks bro

She aint pulling like a wild bull anymore lol................. The rebirth is coming tho hahahaha

How do you know what year your motor came from? I just got my k20a and i guess there is a chance its a newer one, id like to know thad be sick..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information