Close

Upgrading to Type R DC5 JDM complete suspension

I am about to get that epic 30mm track width by buying a full set with axles, shocks, springs, arm, everything. I was originally going to get the kit and upgrade the ball joints and the bushings, but im probably going to forgo that for a few months until I have the extra time and money.

I am going to be looking for some stock 17" wheels that will clear the brembos, +45 offset if possible, I know that the setup is designed for +60 but the +45 will fit snug from what I have been told, and seen.

the full swap shipped to a loading dock is 1075 with the axles, arms, brembos, knuckles, shocks, rear arms and knuckle, all that good stuff. that seems like a good price, yeah?

my understanding is that the drop, stock ITR over stock USDM EP3 is like an inch? anyone have experience with this?

I have been looking for different rim options, currently my thought is to find something inexpensive locally, possibly an Enkei and run the until I can afford to get the ITR rims, or something better.

I assume the stock steering will work fine and all that? I already have type s tie rod ends.

and I also read that the prop valve from a type s will work, true or not?

anyone else do this and want to comment on the difference in handling characteristics?

comments and criticisms welcome, none of this is set in stone until I spend the money, so im always open to suggestions from those of you that have done this.

that guy w/ the face poeticfinesse21's Avatar
    Unless you're building a track car or a Type-R replica, it's not worth it IMO

why? curious

I would look into getting the DC5R brake master cylinder to have better functionality of everything you got.

Its a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. Beefier suspension parts, bigger axles, bling factor, wider track for handling. And for 1k? Pffffft, I'll take that deal any day of the week. The calipers alone are worth over $500 used.

its all that PLUS, less unsprung weight. the parts are substantially cheaper than a big brake kit and you get so much more advantage than just the brakes.

I mean people say they wont do it because of the rotors, which are hard to find and are $200 for a new set. how much are a set of Wilwood rotors?,............. exactly.

I still like to hear peoples opinion on the swap, I will be posting mucho pictures here once I get the stuff. Im gonna have to ship it to my girl's job and unload the pallet into my trunk. since they have a dock and a forklift there.

Quote Originally Posted by captaingamez View Post
    its all that PLUS, less unsprung weight. the parts are substantially cheaper than a big brake kit and you get so much more advantage than just the brakes.

I mean people say they wont do it because of the rotors, which are hard to find and are $200 for a new set. how much are a set of Wilwood rotors?,............. exactly.

I still like to hear peoples opinion on the swap, I will be posting mucho pictures here once I get the stuff. Im gonna have to ship it to my girl's job and unload the pallet into my trunk. since they have a dock and a forklift there.
    Fast brakes sells everything you would need from pads to rotors and even Brembo caliper piston rebuild kits, I don't see what all the whining is all about.

You pay to play. This is not your average Chinese Free-To-Play video game where you can pay to win half of the time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    Fast brakes sells everything you would need from pads to rotors and even Brembo caliper piston rebuild kits, I don't see what all the whining is all about.

You pay to play. This is not your average Chinese Free-To-Play video game where you can pay to win half of the time lol.
    they do??, I am no their website and cant find it, are the pads rotors and rebuild kits for the DC5 type r something they dont list on the site?

the only other issue I can see in the future would be the wheel bearings, any ideas on those?

and I agree, no play for free, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by captaingamez View Post
    they do??, I am no their website and cant find it, are the pads rotors and rebuild kits for the DC5 type r something they dont list on the site?

the only other issue I can see in the future would be the wheel bearings, any ideas on those?

and I agree, no play for free, lol.
    You gotta call up their customer service and sales number. They can get you literally anything, they'll find it. I forgot the guy's name there but he knows people from ephatch so I'm sure if you mention ephatch sent you there they'd take care of you.

thanks man!, ill give them a call as soon as I get the swap stuff for some new pads.

theres a guy on clubep3 that has the whole swap -axles for 550 but im broke fora couple more weeks so I cant get it from him, I just hope he still has it when I get the money.

I am still trying to figure out the bearings though, just in case I need them in the future, I have an extra set of type r knuckles though just in case.

Unless you are driving your car beyond scrub level, the only real benefit will come from the improved braking and, considering the suspension itself is used, will need freshening sooner rather than later. Unsprung weight and wider tracking is pointless if you lack the skills and flat out balls to utilize them. It's great to talk about, even debate and discuss the benefits, but you either drive the weenies out your car or you are just another weenie driving a car. All the lightness and Type R goodness doesnt mean a thing if you lack basic braking skills, end up in the weeds or freak out the moment the tires start screeching and the car doesnt want to turn.

Driving an FF fast is not an easy thing. Invest in an lsd. Definitely better brakes and suspension doesn't matter the order. And productive seat time. Not plenty, PRODUCTIVE seat time.

Don't listen to these guys! go for it car will feel better typically Jdm stuff will have much lower mileage on it So you will feel a difference especially if you have High Mileage on your car.

The Stock Dc5R Suspension and sway bars will make your car Handle better!
    The brembo's are a nice touch as well you can get better brake modulation out of them. Personally I have Type S front brakes+ Hawk Hp+ pads sure they stop the car but they are almost an on off switch.

And best of all its all OEM and will be reliable not like my Koni yellow insert that broke after 5000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by tinman5 View Post
    Unless you are driving your car beyond scrub level, the only real benefit will come from the improved braking and, considering the suspension itself is used, will need freshening sooner rather than later. Unsprung weight and wider tracking is pointless if you lack the skills and flat out balls to utilize them. It's great to talk about, even debate and discuss the benefits, but you either drive the weenies out your car or you are just another weenie driving a car. All the lightness and Type R goodness doesnt mean a thing if you lack basic braking skills, end up in the weeds or freak out the moment the tires start screeching and the car doesnt want to turn.

Driving an FF fast is not an easy thing. Invest in an lsd. Definitely better brakes and suspension doesn't matter the order. And productive seat time. Not plenty, PRODUCTIVE seat time.
    wellll, I wouldnt be installing it If I didnt feel I needed it or could utilize it,

but really I didnt start this thread as a dick measuring contest so im not gonna comment on my driving skills.

thats what race wars is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Bwek View Post
    Don't listen to these guys! go for it car will feel better typically Jdm stuff will have much lower mileage on it So you will feel a difference especially if you have High Mileage on your car.

The Stock Dc5R Suspension and sway bars will make your car Handle better!
    The brembo's are a nice touch as well you can get better brake modulation out of them. Personally I have Type S front brakes+ Hawk Hp+ pads sure they stop the car but they are almost an on off switch.

And best of all its all OEM and will be reliable not like my Koni yellow insert that broke after 5000 miles
    oh god dont curse my Konis!!.
    did they cover you?

otherwise everything you said is exactly how I feel about it.

Thread Information