Close

How do you tell if I need repairs...

Some of you know this already but saturday I'm getting maintenance done on my car and also have the grinding/rough 1st->2nd shift checked for the second time. Does anyone know what the symptoms of a destroyed synchro are or how to tell if a gear had gone bad? Because if I'm still able to shift smoothly maybe 40-50% of the time, Honda may not think this is a problem. Should I accept that answer or is there some ways that we can identify how much damage has already occurred? I just don't want to take a trip and get stuck because I can't shift anymore. It worries me some because I don't know how to tell how bad the problem is. Can they look at the MTF fluid and tell by how much metal fragments are in there? Any advice would be appreciated.

They will find metal shavings no matter what. The size of them will determine how serious the damage is. Most of our transmissions grind on the 1st>2nd shift. I can recommend a few things to try to help you trans along. First, I'm hearing a lot of guys raving about Pennzoil Synchromesh transmission fluid. It really helps the shift. The second thing is try to take your time shifting into 2nd from 1st. These aren't drag racing transmissions, they are road-racing transmissions. Hence, why they require a little more finesse sometimes. Granted, you'd figure Honda should've at least made it shift somewhere near as good as the '99 Si (I had one, I know how good it was), but they didn't. So unfortunately, we need to just be a little more careful. I also hear that around 30k miles the grinding significantly drops. I wouldn't know personally having only 5k miles.

Good luck and keep us posted on what Honda tells you.

Thread Information