This thread is about all-motor mods (non-turbo build-up)

okay, next week I will be ordering the skunk2 cat back exhaust. I will have injen cai, dc header and skunk2 exh. now that the set will be complete it's time to get a head start on some real motor mods.

Pistons:
Only high compression pistons I have found so far are made by wiseco. They are 11.5:1 cr, but I would feel better off with the rsx-s pistons. (same cr) What is bad about going too high of a compression ratio? I assume the rsx-s (or ctr) pistons would be more reliable/better fit than any aftermarket options....someone expand on that please.

Race engineering makes some k20 pistons as well, but I couldn't find the cr on them. (they might be turbo)
pretty good site here: Race engineering

Connecting Rods:
Crower has connecting rods available as we speak. Supposedly the only aftermarket company that offers k20 rods.... [that I have found]

Crank:
I know that our crank is completely different than that of the k20a2. I doubt that Toda or Crower would make stroker kits for the k20a3 specific. When they do, it will be for the k20a2, but I'm pretty sure it won't matter either way. Only time will tell. Crower will more than likely sell the crank separately eventually. (if they make one)

Cams:
I have alot of hope riding on the Skunk2 cams that are rumored to be in development for the a3 right now. I'll give it another 4-5 months or so for a release. They had better give more valvetrain for the k20 as well. (valve springs and retainers) [This would help greatly with the hondata!]

Also....Skunk2 adveritses a k20 head port job. There is no price listed of course, but the picture looks very nice. (Port and polish on intake and exhaust sides.)

Port and polish:
"Skunk2's ported RSX head is designed and developed for the intake and exhaust sides to maximize laminar airflow at a relatively low price. This is the the true tuner only, and not for any pansy-ass wannabe." - super street pg.162 June 03

I'm assuming that you send in the engine head, they do their thing, then mail it back similar to the process of hondata. I plan on calling them sometime in the future after I buy the catback for more specifics on this....

Hondata/All-motor theory:
People with hondata aren't getting any gains past 6800 making it seem the mod's only asset is for gearing purposes. I'm 99% sure that if we bump up the compression ratio and get some stage one cams and appropriate valve train we could easily see 20 whp gains. The hondata will not shine until the next step is taken. Maybe doug will develop another tune along-side a Forced Induction flash for cams/pistons etc, or maybe this flash will be compatible all-motor where our engines internally are too detuned to put out any more hp/tq figures.

Anyone that wants to discuss and teach me something about engine work I would greatly appreciate the pm. I don't think the vtec in the rsx-s really makes that much of a difference if the k20a3 also has the same compression pistons, cams, ecu etc.

I want roughly 175 whp. This seems easliy attainable through full engine modification. I want to see what this motor is capable of making. Let's see this factory detuned motor unleashed.

-Alex