Close

Sunroof Delete, The Honda way

I hate sun roofs, I hate them with a passion. I am sure many of you love your sunroofs, I understand that. However that love will fade very quickly if you ever have to do a repair on it, let alone a full restoration like I just did on my project car. It was a terrible job and it took over 100 hours. The worst part about sunroofs is that they are not actually designed to seal water out, its actually impossible to do that for some reason, which is why all sunroof have drain tubes in the both front A pillars and the rear C pillars to take the water from above your head in the roof tub, to the ground. Yes, when it is raining there is usually a quart of water or so flowing constantly over your head in the gutter tub in your car. This causes rust in your roof. And now in realizing that my EP3 sun roof is eventually going to fail, and has started to slow down slightly I want it gone...

Yes gone, gone for good, I want no roof panel, hardtop baby. This is going to be a long journey, btu I thnk this will be the only SI with a hard top when its done. It will also remove weight from the top of the vehicle, lowering the center of gravity and thus reducing body roll.

As most of you know, Honda sells every body panel for our cars. As in, every piece that is welded together to make a honda chassis is available as an individual piece from the dealer. I need a Honda roof panel, and a headliner for a non sunroof EP1 EP2 EP3, or EP4, and I dont need it in "type R" trim, it can be the cheapest model. A roof cut is not an option because of how this has to be done.

This is the procedure: (note this is how it would be done if Honda themselves did it)

remove front glass,
    remove headliner
    remove hatch
    remove sun roof glass
    drill out roof spot welds
    heat roof up to high temperature
    peel roof panel off the car as the body sealer heats up and looses elasticity
    clean frame
    seal new roof panel,
    spot weld
    reassemble

The issue is I need two parts I can not find the part numbers for, the roof panel and the inner headlining panel.

can anyone be of some help? I know where to order european honda parts, but I cant get the numbers for those two for some reason.

My other option is just to find a headliner, and welt the roof closed and do body work, but where is the fun in that?

either way I need to find those two part numbers. This is going to be a long road and will most likely take a few years before I am ready to do the roof swap, But I am determined to get rid of that damn hole.

I love my sunroof I always have and always will.

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    I love my sunroof I always have and always will.
    x2

Did you ever find out those part numbers? I am also in the process of this, my roof skin is already removed, i started welding and went too fast and warped my roof a little bit, its fixable but im like "f-this shiz".

Quote Originally Posted by PROTOCRACK View Post
    Did you ever find out those part numbers? I am also in the process of this, my roof skin is already removed, i started welding and went too fast and warped my roof a little bit, its fixable but im like "f-this shiz".
    Wow, I did not know you still had an ep3
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

The only person that I who did this is SHG for his girlfriend's racing RSX. He drove to Canada to pick it up.

Sunroof - 83200-S5T-E31ZA
    Roof Skin - 62100-S5S-E01ZZ

Thread Information