Close

Thread: Soft Clutch

WTF are you lookin @!? BlackNRedSi's Avatar

Soft Clutch

Hey guys...Had a question for you all...

My EP is my first Honda i have ever owned, i always owned domestic cars, so this is the question...

Why is it that my clutch is so easy to push down, like you cant feel where the clutch releases....its just like, you smack down the clutch, and then shift...

i am so used to feeling where the clutch releases and pulls, and used to a harder clutch...

are all of your EPs like this? does this happen with new cars, or will it be like this for ever? if so, are there places where i can get a stiffer clutch, or should i just stay wtih wht we got?!

Thanks!

Eric

I believe that our clutches use hydraulic assistance to help engage and disengage the clutch plate. That's why it feels so light.

you know what? i am stupid, i didnt even think of that, i should have...stupid me, sorry guys!

Eric

i click on all your threads just to see your avatar.

haha why shtat?!P

Eric

You're right about the clutches in Hondas. They have gotten better, though. They went to hydraulic clutches on the 92+ Civics. Those were on and off switches and you could watch the clutch pedal come back up!! They have gotten progressively easier. My 1977 was like an exercise machine (spring clutch). The 1988 was a snappy spring clutch (very agressive) but it had a weighted release arm which made it easier that the 1977-1987.

I have to get used to it, too. I was just getting smooth with the 2000 Si (you know, seemless upshifts) but I got rid of it for my EP, and am finding the learning curve much easier since the engine is less peaky. After the car is a year or two old, the clutch fluid goes to crap... then put in some Catrol LM DOT3/4 (LM mean Low Moisture-absorption) and bleed the heck out of it. This time, I am going to try the Valvoline ABS fluid which has a higher wet and dry boiling point than the old staple, LM. You will have better results with release, but the clutch may get even easier to push in. Hard to drive with boots on, huh?

do the clutches go as easy as spring loaded ones?

eric

this was one thing that surprised me when I first drove the EP. I put that clutch to the floor and it scared me. I thought i broke something. The clutch is very very soft and light and actually really nice for daily driving. I am a fan of soft clutches for daily driven cars. Race cars on the other hand :D

Karim

Thread Information