Close

"structural" modifications and insurance coverage?

Ok, just some curious questions about the JDM CTR conversion options we have, such as Type X's beauty of a ride. Is it correct for me to assume that in order to get the JDM bumper covers to fit our cars there has to be some modification to the bumper structure? I read somewhere that someone had removed the styro-foam piece as well as cutting the stell bumper out. Now to tie this together, do you reckon that if you, after making these mods, were to sustain any damage to the front or rear of the car that might have been prevented by the stock bumper structures that your insurance company might not cover it? Seems like a legitimate question but then again, are any local insurance adjusters going to know that much about the bumper structures prior to making an estimate?

sorry about such a long-winded question, but I hope you guys get my drift and have some intelligent responses.

thanks

Noone?!

I see a few of you guys have read it, but no thoughts on the topic?! I was hoping to hear from Type-X on this one too.

Visit me @ K-Series.com Mugen_EP's Avatar
    My thoughts on this are..

1) You should purchase the JDM supports when you do the conversion anyway.

2) The USDM supports are just made to pass the 5 mph bumper standard so anything faster then that should be cool with the JDM supports.

3) I've never seen a smart insurance adjuster who could tell the damn difference anyway. Hell, some tuners cant tell the JDM conversion.

Do the damn thing if you want... it looks tight.

Does anyone know what speeds Japan requires their bumpers to be good for?

Holding Monster says: dustinhurley's Avatar
    I think the only way someone would know is if the insurance rep drove an EP and was into modifying it. I highly doubt any insurance company would take the time and money to do some forensic studies on your bumper supports to determine their strength.

nice

Now that is what i'm taking about! good responses fellas, keep 'em coming.

Japan's bumper regulations (and the UK, for that matter) are, as far as I can tell, intended for lower speeds than US regs. That is, the US regulations call for no damage at 5 mph (in theory, anyway), but most other countries only require 2 mph or so.

That being said, an insurance company might not find out & make things a hassle. But, if only the bumper system needs to be fixed, and if they insist on replacing with the "expected" regular US Honda bumper parts, then things might get messy.

I'll still wait for a CTR lip/skirt kit to fit the US bumpers, partly for that reason, and partly because I don't want to blow that much cash on what I'd consider "adapters".

Thread Information