Close

Thread: grade of oil?

Banned

grade of oil?

Just looking for opinions on what grade of oil to use. So far I've used the Honda 5w20 semi-synthetic but would like to switch to full synth. A local speed shop told me that they recommend the royal purple but in a 5w30 and that it would actually be better for engine wear rather than a 5w20..........another shop recommended 0w20. What do you guys think?

I'd stick with what Honda recommends. If you're using semi-sythetic Honda oil now...keep using it ;)

Banned
    Already decided that I want to use a full synthetic-looking for opinions on what grade and which brands........Honda doesn't offer a full synthetic of their own.

There is much contreversy on oil around EP Hatch. Do a search for "oil" or "5w20" and I'm sure you will come up with some information. I'm not trying to be an ass but searching and reading really helped me learn a lot about oil that I had never known.
    From what I've researched though,
    Amsoil and Royal Purple have a 5w20 but Mobil 1 does not. But they may be difficult to find in stores and even on websites. Check around. For Amsoil, Thebestoil.com (i think that's it. Good Luck!
    Hope this helps!
    And, I promise I'm not trying to be mean! :D
    The Original Noob with Boobs

The 5W-20 is the honda semi-syn blend. so if you go full syn. then the 0w-20 is fine and it's most likely Mobil1 anyways thats teh only brand that offers 0w-20 that i know of so far. so go for it. just don't let honda know ;) so they can't void any warranty :D

I use 0W-20. My engine feels smoother with this motor oil and also feels as if it revs alittle more freely with it. Also a major difference i noticed is that once i put this oil in my mile per gallon jumped up alot. when i used to check my miles per gallon, After having used a half tank of gas i would check to see my total miles. It would normally be around 100 mile to 105. After i started putting in the 0W-20 that jumped out between 130-135 miles per gallon. 0W-20 kicks ass! :D

I want Mobil 1 0w-20 too damnit gotta make a trip the the states for a case... sigh.

0-dub-twenny

I figured, since it's winter, and my fuel and oil consumption are both still awful, it was time for drastic measures. Oil changed with Mobil 1 0w-20 and a swanky K&N oil filter. So far the obvious difference is that the motor revs more freely, doesn't smoke right before the 2-3 shift at full throttle on a gentle incline, and fuel consumption and oil consumption are both better. Hmmmmmm.

I'm still a bit wary of running anything that thin in the summer, but maybe that's just 'cause I'm an old f*cker and I've got other bikes and cars that use 20w-50 when it's hot out.

ephatch member

I use Vavoline race 50oil and a k%n oil filter- my engine feels smooth as heck

im using royal purple 5w20

I'm running Motul 300V 5W40.

Honda doesn't make their own oil. It's just repackaged Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20.

Thread Information