Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Edited:
    Will the OBD2 signal CELs if the vtec killer was installed on one of our A3's? I wonder what a hondata tune for the cams would provide in performance?
    Dohh:
    VTC Killer Campulleys are required when using TODA Spec B, C, and VTEC Killer Camshafts.

Campulley Price Note
    Intake $200 Eliminates VTC, not compatible with stock ECU

So we would need to fabricate the VTC on the intake side as myeverlovinsir stated. Hmm
    Last edited by Bificus; 01-07-2004 at 08:42 PM.

Originally posted by Bificus
    Will the OBD2 signal CELs if the vtec killer was installed on one of our A3's? I wonder what a hondata tune for the cams would provide in performance?
    if you're running vtec killers, standalone ECU is a must.

I saw that right after I posted. Dohh!

Hasport General Manager
    Originally posted by chunky
    if you're running vtec killers, standalone ECU is a must.
    That's not necessarily true, unless the cams are keyed so that the valves interfere with the piston when the cam gear is at rest.

Hondata could do a reflash that kept the cam gear fixed. They could even do a reflash that maximized the VTEC killers cam timing throughout the rpm for additional low end power, and maybe even spread the lobe ceters so it can idle.

The new programmable RSX ECU should be out in 1 or 2 months and really make this easy. You may even have the option of turning off the variable cam MIL and anything else associated with its operation.

brian g

Originally posted by brian g
    That's not necessarily true, unless the cams are keyed so that the valves interfere with the piston when the cam gear is at rest.

Hondata could do a reflash that kept the cam gear fixed. They could even do a reflash that maximized the VTEC killers cam timing throughout the rpm for additional low end power, and maybe even spread the lobe ceters so it can idle.

The new programmable RSX ECU should be out in 1 or 2 months and really make this easy. You may even have the option of turning off the variable cam MIL and anything else associated with its operation.

brian g
    I agree. However, spreading the cam lobes requires VTC to shift them, or variable timing gears.

Hasport General Manager
    Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
    I agree. However, spreading the cam lobes requires VTC to shift them, or variable timing gears.
    My meaning might be lost, I'm saying bolt the VTEC Killer cam to the VTC cam gear. Although it may not fit, I do not know.

brian g

Originally posted by brian g

brian g
    what you've described requires a standalone ECU. That is unless you want to pay out the ass to take your car to cali, and have hondata re-flash your car every time you want to tweak it.

The "programmable RSX ECU" is a standalone. And yes, you COULD do it w/o a standalone, but it's way more trouble than it's worth.

Hasport General Manager
    Originally posted by chunky

The "programmable RSX ECU" is a standalone.
    This is symantics argument, I consider the Hondata Programmable a modified stock solution since it is absolutely plug and play with no modification to the stock wiring harness or engine sensors. As far as it not being worth the trouble, that would be your personal opinion right? Why wouldn't it be worth it? It seems a resonable solution for the situation.

The reflash may eventually be available if enough people want it and one person gives their car to Hondata. Has anyone called TODA to see if they sell a reflash for people using their engine components and the stock ECU.

brian g
    Last edited by brian g; 01-08-2004 at 09:00 AM.

All this talk about our cars not having real vtec makes me wanna trade my car in

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information