Close

MiLkBiZzY

cat-back or custom?

sup guys

i was thinking about getting the 2.25" midpipe put in at a shop and then i'll have em' weld an aftermarket muffler directly on to that. I want to keep things kinda quiet, well, not REAL quiet, I just don't want everyone within a mile radius to know i'm comin', know what i'm sayin'? is this not a good decision to have my exhaust set up this way considering i want the volume to be low. what muffler would you guys recommend? would an axle back be better?

if you do that. it will most likely sound ricey unless you leave the factory resonator on, which will loose perfromance. best way to keep things quiet and add power is to keep the stock muffer and replace everything up to it with 2.25 piping. cheapest and quietest in my opinion.
    1993 Honda CIVIC SI weekend tire shredder
    1997 Honda CIVIC EX dd status
    2005 Honda ELEMENT AWD EX wifey's
    2003 Honda VTR1000 need for speed
    2007 Honda 400EX/2009 kawi KFX450r off road fun

Re: cat-back or custom?

Originally posted by MiLkBiZzY
    i was thinking about getting the 2.25" midpipe put in at a shop and then i'll have em' weld an aftermarket muffler directly on to that. I want to keep things kinda quiet, well, not REAL quiet, I just don't want everyone within a mile radius to know i'm comin', know what i'm sayin'? is this not a good decision to have my exhaust set up this way considering i want the volume to be low. what muffler would you guys recommend? would an axle back be better?
    2.25" is a great size. Easy to bend to get clearence over the rear sway. I had this set-up first, untill cat-back came out to a reasonable price. Welded to a Skunk2 muffler. It comes with a baffle, though I doubt you will use it. It sounds great, folks were always giving me props, even my Honda techs. It is a good decision, since it will save you a good $200. Axle back would be a good choice if you want to re-use the flanges. I kept the stock exhaust just in case. So the pipe was one piece from the cat back to the muffler.

$220.15 at inlinefour.com

Originally posted by Black 02 SI
    if you do that. it will most likely sound ricey unless you leave the factory resonator on, which will loose perfromance. best way to keep things quiet and add power is to keep the stock muffer and replace everything up to it with 2.25 piping. cheapest and quietest in my opinion.
    It will not sound ricey, how many custom set-ups have you heard? Yes if you get a no name muffler from Auto-Zone or something like that. You will get what you pay for. With no resonator, you will loose alittle TQ. Yet you gain in fuel economy. You are right about the cheapest and quietest staying with the stock muffler, but let the flow go. You will be happy with the look, and the deep sound. You will get noticed for the right reasons. Unless you are doing something stupid.

Thread Information