Close

ephatch member

speaker wire???screws?????connecters???puttin my sub in box:

well, i did my last sub/amp install and it was pretty easy. problem is that i didnt put the subs in the box myself, they came in it. so im asking....what gauge wire???????? just some of those flat crimp on connectors to wire the sub to the box????? 14-16 guage wire i assume??????? can i just pick up some speaker wire from anywhere or should it be something special?

and finally, do i drill pilot holes first and what length screws to mount the sub??? should they go all the way through the box or should i get really short ones??? any special screw for MDF material or will anything work???

sorry for all the questions, i just wanna make sure i dont mess anything up. last time i ran the power and ground on the same side of the car until i found out you couldnt and had to pull alot of wiring and redo it. thanks!!!!

are you building your own box?

ephatch member
    nope, i just bought a box. i just didnt hook up the wiring last time around and i wasnt sure what kind of connectors and everything to use. but i asked around and i got some connectors and some 16 gauge speaker wire and also some drywall screws to put the sub in with. i just asked around till i foudn the right stuff. i know its not hard but installing the sub into the box was the one part that id never tried before. hopefully all will go well.

Yeah it is pretty straight forward and you shouldn't have any problems but if you do let me know and I will try and help as much as I can.

Well as far as speaker wire to your sub it all depends on how much power your going to have going to it.
    i had a single alum10q audiobahn sub with the 800 watt intake series amp pushing the single 10 and i called up audiobahn and they said no smaller than 12 gauge so i went with the big stuff and used 8 gauge power wire to run it. the bigger the better!

ephatch member
    yeah i got some 16 gauge. doubt itll matter with only about 120 watts goin to it. ill put the setup together tomorrow. found a kenwood amp that puts out 120 bridged so i should be set. only problem is now that i might be goin all out and replacing my pioneer 6300 with an alpine mp3,cd,wma,etc. head. crutchfield has financing and i think i can get everthing id ever need in a system for about 400. might go that route. we'll see how the box goes though.

for screws use the largest that fit in the mounting holes on your sub either 6-32, 8-32, or 10-32 machine screws. I would use some security hex (the ones with the pin in the center so you need a specific tool to install/remove without damage) and use t-nuts on the back side of the mounting flange. Go with screws that are long enough to go through the MDF and the sub with a little extra.

Shu Shu retarded flu oogy-boogy's Avatar

Re: speaker wire???screws?????connecters???puttin my sub in box:

Originally posted by civicracer1128
    well, i did my last sub/amp install and it was pretty easy. problem is that i didnt put the subs in the box myself, they came in it. so im asking....what gauge wire???????? just some of those flat crimp on connectors to wire the sub to the box????? 14-16 guage wire i assume??????? can i just pick up some speaker wire from anywhere or should it be something special?

and finally, do i drill pilot holes first and what length screws to mount the sub??? should they go all the way through the box or should i get really short ones??? any special screw for MDF material or will anything work???

sorry for all the questions, i just wanna make sure i dont mess anything up. last time i ran the power and ground on the same side of the car until i found out you couldnt and had to pull alot of wiring and redo it. thanks!!!!
    Great Q's...

1. Basically, think of speaker wire as if it were "plumbing". The larger the pipe (or gage in this case) the better the flow and less constriction. Personally, I would never go under 12 for a sub. You can actually get some good quality Schoche wire at Walmart for cheap.

2. Always drill pilot holes. MDF strips easily!!! If using power tools, leave the last few turns for a manual screwdriver. Always be careful not to push too hard and go off the screw. It's very easy to puncture a sub. Go through the box and wood screws or Sheet rock screws should be fine. Sheetmetal screws are a no-no due to the small teeth.

A few more tips:
    I always put a small bit of silicone in each hole to ensure a great seal.

03blueSI also had some great recommendations on screws.

Good luck!
    Mel

Thread Information