Close

djdamien1980

Question Turning the AC off when using the Defroster, 2002 Civic Si

How do get the AC to turn off when I use the defroster. I have a 2002 Honda Civic Si and I cant figure it out. If anyone knows, please let me know.
    Thanks

Do a search, PaXiE has done a tutorial on it. That said, there IS a reason that the AC comes on when the defroster is on, and that's because the AC de-humidifies the air, thus cutting back on moisture & frost.

Turn all the knobs all the way counter clock wise, then hold the recirculate and ac buttons down, and while still holding down, start the car, and wait til the light flashes on the recirculate button, then release and now the a/s will stay off even if you have the defrost on, to reverse the operation, just turn all the knobs clockwise, and so the rest the same.

have fun

The AC is NOT on just the de-humidifier...

Originally posted by trickkykidd.02
    The AC is NOT on just the de-humidifier...
    huh?!

wow thanx a lot guys i was curious about it 2

There is a reason that the AC comes on. As mentioned before it dehumidifies the air and by running the AC compressor it helps to keep all the seals from drying and cracking.

So, you might want to turn the AC on every once in awhile with the defroster throughout the winter. It could prevent some problems further down the line.

Does anyone know is this works on the '02 civic lx? Has the same problem but want to turn it off for a friend. :)

^^ my buddy tried it on his Canadian Si (2001) and it doesn't work. It looks like it only works for the EP

this.setRootCause(last);
    Originally posted by bao_pay
    Does anyone know is this works on the '02 civic lx? Has the same problem but want to turn it off for a friend. :)
    Yes, it does work. At least it did in my old '01 LX.

ephatch member
    The a/c compressor does not come on to dehumidify the air. It comes on because if you go all winter without running it the seals will dry out.

Alright...

The a/c DOES dehumidify the air. You'll even see water dribbling onto the ground as a result. It doesn't matter whether the temperature is set to hot or cold -- the simple fact is that a/c systems dehumidify. Even window-mounted a/c units for the home have a drain hose.

The primary reason for a/c to run while defrosting is because warm dry air does a much better job at clearing frost or fog than warm wet air. Simple as that.

Whether it's winter, spring, summer, or fall, you should run the a/c once a week for ten minutes or so to keep the system clear and the seals lubed. After that, keep running the HVAC system for a couple more minutes or so without a/c to dry out the air channels and prevent mold (that funny smell you get when you run the a/c for the first time in months).

For really cold weather (say, northern Canada or Alaska), you'll want to be able to switch the a/c back off. Firstly, the air is usually dry enough because of the severe cold. Second, it's not a good idea to have water sitting around in the a/c where it can freeze and cause damage.

Thread Information