Close

Full Throttle Ping

hey guys...im not sure if im the only one with this problem but whenever im at full throttle around 4-5 rpms i could hear and feel a pinging sound coming from the engine bay...its kind of like a rattling and weird pinging sound...like a leaf being sucked by my intake... i have a greddy turbo...im thinking it might be something loose.

whats your psi and what gas do you run?

im running stock 6.5 psi off the E-manage, i am also running dirty cheap 91 octane gas...my friend said i should run 87 with octane booster to get up to 95 but im broke enough for gas as it is...

That is probably detonation... unfortunately, the best solution is to get the most expensive gas you can, or add octane booster until the "good" gas is back. Paying for those two things is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine.

next time you see your friend give him a good swift kick in the nuts for the advice.

octane "boosters" will only raise the octane by one or two POINTS
    im sure your car would love 87.2 octane. alot of people mess up that way.

you can mix toulene or xylene with your gas, toulene has a 116 octane if i remember correctly, just dont get it on your paint.

eather way, i doubt that your experiancing real pinging, stick your head under the hood and look for the problem. check and recheck every thing, it could be as simple as a loose heat shield. you might also want to switch gas stations, not every 91 octane is equal. theres 2 local stations that there 93 causes pinging on my car at around 18 psi while at other stations i can run 20 psi with the same "grade" gas and not have any knock.

for a quick test, go fill your car full of race gas and if the sound is still there than its something loose under there. if the sound goes away but comes back as soon as you switch back to pump you might want to consider buying a clunker for a daily driver because your going to have to keep race gas in the hatch at all times.
    Last edited by 87gn; 06-16-2004 at 09:29 PM.

thats for the advice on the octane booster....waste of money...but anyways...if it is detonation, is it possible i could settle that using the K-Pro? or the Hondata flash?...when the car is idling after a drive the exhaust tends to puuttt puuttt...also the engine sounds as if the cam is hitting the valve cover (i know its not possible just sounds that way)...but yeah im still under stock internals and im not quite sure whats going on. I have a waranty under a non honda dealership who said they'll cover the turbocharger and the engine(full dealership waranty)...so its no problem if i blew a valve...well to replace it...hopefully thats not the case. I hope i can just adjust it by tunning the Ecu

this only happens to me when im at full throttle...when im at 3/4 and reving high it doesnt make that sound...im only running 6/5 psi so im not sure if floating valves are the source of the problem...i think the car is just running lean at high end...

could the problem also be because i dont have my BOV installed yet? just my 2 cents...

Are you running an IC yet?
    Also, do you have the new program for the emanage?

No, its not because of your BOV.

Thread Information