Close

my question about cai's?

well i have a question... with the cai's wont water get sucked up into the intake manifold and screw some stuff up? well its a simple question , i have gone with a custom intake but its not holding up that well so im thinking of investing in a cai.

Yes you are exactly correct the chance of this happening is there but you pretty much have to drive thru water dep enough to submerge the filter and as long as you have half a brain you can avoid this.

*remembers*

*remembers very rainy day in tennessee* those damn puddles! so as long as i avoid completely submerging it ill be alright , and the cai's give what about 5 more hp than just the sri's? what i really want is an injen cai but im just not sure its really worth it
    what do you all think?

I have the CAI and I was worried about this too. After I installed it I measured it out and with my 1.5" drop I have to get into 9" of water just to touch the botom part of it and over a 1' before I start hitting the pipe. You have to hit some deep water to do this. I would say just do not hit very bad backroads and you should be good.

thats cool

thats cool now are all the cais for our cars roughly that much height? or do you not know , and what kind of cai you got?

if you are really worried id get the aem bypass valve.

yah

thats what i was looking at but eh? if my engine starts locking up ill just curve off into a ditch and wreck muhahahahhahaha! lol j/k

haha thats an option...... lol

or you could just shift into neutral and shut down engine. coast through the water safely. this isnt always possible but its what i do when im woried- i dont have the by pass valve btw.....

yah

yah thats what ive been told if you hear a slurping sound or what not shut down your car , but usually the roads around me dont get bad just when it rains for like 2 weeks straight. i believe imma go ahead and order an injen cai today

TexMex @ b3st
    I took mine off because even for texas, it rains a lot and I was tired of being so PARANOID about trying to miss puddles and not going out in rain. My car sucked up some water going through water that I didn't think was that deep (I'm pretty sure it was before I was dropped, too). Trust me, you can measure fromt he bottom of your filter to the ground and say you have so much room, but are you gonna measure every puddle to know if it's safe? It's a car, a very big investment. I don't think you want to be taking chances with it. If I could do it all over again, I'd go with a short ram.

you will be happy with this mod. a little added performance, and it will sound mean :)

yah

and even after i buy the intake ill have enough for either a type s transmission or a type s head to start my ep3's transformation *EVIL LAUGH INSERT HERE*

Quote Originally Posted by k20whiteboi269
    if you are really worried id get the aem bypass valve.
    There's no way we can put aem bypass valve on our car.

Quote Originally Posted by Civicvtec1ps
    There's no way we can put aem bypass valve on our car.
    yea you can't use a bypass valve in the ep....it doesnt fit..i used to have a cold air and i ordered it from a shop and they recommended the bypass valve so i ordered that to and after they cut my intake tube to put the by pass valve i found out through AEM that it wont fit and if its installed it can break and be sucked into your throttle body so i had the shop return my cold air and i ordered a short ram.

Thread Information