Close

Cell phone charger/cig lighter outlet/bad reception

I cant figure out what is causing the poor radio reception (on certain stations) when i plug my cell phone charger into the cig lighter.

i have an amp installed, but nothing else. i can plug the same charger into another vehicle and the reception is fine.

any advice?

Make sure your rca wires aren't running by the power wires from the cig lighter and not running by your antenna wires. also if you have your cellphone near your headunit it will give you feedback and cause your signal to be crappy.

I have a line-to-rca adapter installed in the dash behind the oem headunit. everything is soldered and wrapped.

I tried moving the wires from the amp away from the antenna wire along the door sil, but it didn't do anything.

I get poor reception with the charger on and the amp is not on.

its not a big deal as I don't charge my phone much in he car, its just annoying when I do.

Is it a cheap charger?

nah, OEM verizon.

The charger uses a switch mode power supply which generates RFI, even if this RFI is not in the same band as the station you are trying to receive harmonics generated can cause the tuner's to be overloaded thus causing poor reception. It could be as simple as relocating the antenna wire.

Stock radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    The charger uses a switch mode power supply which generates RFI, even if this RFI is not in the same band as the station you are trying to receive harmonics generated can cause the tuner's to be overloaded thus causing poor reception. It could be as simple as relocating the antenna wire.

Stock radio?
    Yes, stock radio.

Just for grins, try this while you are expieriencing the issue.

Take the wire, close to the cig plug unit, wrap 3-4 turns around a screw/other metal that's attracted to a magnet.

See if the problem goes away, what this does is decouple the wire and keeps it from acting as an antenna at high frequencies, this will tell you alot of what the source of the noise is and how to solve the issue.

Thread Information