Close

weird sound with WS2 exhaust

I just installed me Apexi WS2 exhaust about a week ago..havent driven it in the rain too much since. Tonight though..we got tons of rain and some of the roads were fully covered and had maybe half an inch to an inch of water across them. At first, nothing really bad happened, then all of a sudden as i drove through some "heavier" water, it sounded like my muffler fell off and was dragging on the ground. So i pulled over at the closest plaza that i could...took a good look around, checked the joints, revved it up..no leaks any more...as soon as i went through any water that was more then like an inch deep, it would make this god awful noise. The only thing i could think of is that i got some water actually in the muffler housing, and it was gurgleing.

Any one else got this same problem? or experience?

golan wants my weena thisisagame24's Avatar
    yea its a common problem with aftermarket echuasts and eps. i dont really know wht causes but most of us have had the problem. its nothing to worry about mang

ephatch member
    i know some people have determined that it's just the cool water hitting the HOT exhaust pipes and makes an annoying popping sound under the car. Maybe this sounds different though. Just get under the car and make sure everything is tightened down again. I hope you used threadlocker on the bolts, you don't want those loosening up and giving you an exhaust leak sounding like crap.

u know i have NEVER had this problem and i have gone through some heavy rain.

well, if you dont like the exhaust I'll give you my Carbon Fiber hood for it.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    i have an apexi n1 and it that happens all the time. the tone completely changes and the exhaust sometimes starts bangin up against my car

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    i know some people have determined that it's just the cool water hitting the HOT exhaust pipes and makes an annoying popping sound under the car. Maybe this sounds different though. Just get under the car and make sure everything is tightened down again. I hope you used threadlocker on the bolts, you don't want those loosening up and giving you an exhaust leak sounding like crap.
    im wit him. could just be cold water. someone should actually drive there car to temp then hit it with a hose to see the difference. therefore i do not have an exh system so i cant do it

From what I remember the cause of this increased noise is due to the nature of high temperature steel clashing with the cool rain. As temperatures rise, metals tend to expand. The sudden exposure to the cool rain makes the metal retract. It is mainly due to the expansion of the steel that causes it to hit areas of the chassis from what I gather. It is still a puzzle to me as to why there are increased vibrations with the exhaust from this reaction which causes this noise.

the last post makes sense..pretty basic science. Thats what i figured, or it was that i was gettin water splashed up into the tip and it was gurggeling. But the cold water effect on metal is what im guessin it was. It was really intermitten like, would happen for like 20 seconds, then go away. And it was really really cold rain too...like almost hail at one point.

And i do like the exhaust, but thanks for the offer for trading it for the hood.

Thread Information