Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    His speedo is lying, because the new wheels are covering around 5-10% more ground per rotation than his old wheels. The speedo takes its reading from the axle. Thus, it is calibrated to the stock wheel/tire diameter. Increasing the diameter will make the speedo read lower than the true speed, always.
    If I got 17" or 16" wheels would it then be key to get tires tht allow the diameer of the wheel/tire to remain the same as the stock wheel/tire diameter?

Would this allow the speedo to give a correct reading?

Originally posted by StrangeShadow

I'm a little confused...so can the tac be incorrect, meaning it says I'm pushing 6000 rpms when I may be pushing 5000?

Is the ECU compliant with the tac, killing the engine when the tac says I've red lined or hit max revs, or does the deff. of max revs differ with the tac and ECU?
    I wouldn't say the tac might read 1000 RPM different than actual, but there could be a more subtle difference.

The tach is not related to the ECU at all. They both get their readings separately, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) The ECU will always cut the engine out at the same speed, because it has an exact digital representation of engine speed at all times. This is what allows VTEC to vary different engine parameters based on the RPM, and thus get the best power and efficiency at all RPMs.

If I got 17" or 16" wheels would it then be key to get tires tht allow the diameer of the wheel/tire to remain the same as the stock wheel/tire diameter?

Would this allow the speedo to give a correct reading?
    It sure would, some on this site said they have found such combinations. Do a search and I bet you'll find some.

The ECU will always cut the engine out at the same speed, because it has an exact digital representation of engine speed at all times.
    Can that be bipassed? or changed by honda dealer?
    would the engine be able to hadle more after different performance mods, making it necessary for the cut off number given to the ECU to be changd?

Can that be bipassed? or changed by honda dealer?
    would the engine be able to hadle more after different performance mods, making it necessary for the cut off number given to the ECU to be changd?
    Hondata has plans to offer a "flash" for the ECU in our cars, with an optional higher RPM limit for the cutoff (more about hondata here). In the base model RSX, they raised the stock 6800rpm limit to 7300. I think we can expect something similar. This is not something the dealer will probably change. This can not be done without a lot of specialized equipment and R&D.
    Last edited by cbecker333; 12-30-2002 at 10:15 AM.

Hondata has plans to offer a "flash" for the ECU in our cars, with an optional higher RPM limit for the cutoff (more about hondata here). In the base model RSX, they raised the stock 6800rpm limit to 7300. I think we can expect something similar. This is not something the dealer will probably change. This can not be done without a lot of specialized equipment and R&D.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information