Close

Question Question for the EP Parents here

Here is a question I'm hoping that some of the parents here will be able to help me with. Due to some new recent changes, I should finally be getting custody of my 1yr old son soon. I'm so thrilled, I don't know where to start. However, coming to this understanding, I am starting to think that the EP isn't going to be the best suitable car for him. He does have some special needs and equipment that goes with it. So having only two doors, being a bit smaller, having a shorter distance from bumper to seat in the event of a rear end collision, etc. are all things of why the EP might not be the best for him.

I'm wondering how many parents use the EP as a daily driver with having kids, and how the 'experiance' is with it. Is it much of headache, or is it not so bad?

Is the EP worth keeping, or should I look to replace it for a four door? Maybe TSX or IS300? I'd hate to lose the EP, esp since I just bought a number of new things for it (as some of you may know), but he is more important as well as the overall efficiency of things.

What should I do?

I use the EP as a DD with my kids but they are older kids, no booster seats needed or anything. You will probably have to consider other options if there is cumbersome equipment involved...

Honestly? Do whats best for your youngin'... If it means ditching the EP to keep him safer and to be able to better suit his needs then don't hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyduck17 View Post
    Honestly? Do whats best for your youngin'... If it means ditching the EP to keep him safer and to be able to better suit his needs then don't hesitate.
    Well I have a while until I'm back from this deployment, so I'm trying to assess the pro's and con's now, to better make the call when I get home. So by all means, if it's really better to ditch the EP, I will. I just don't want to yet, or at least not without hearing from some of the parents here, to find what their first hand experinces are.

Besides, as much as I love my EP... If I have to part with it, I do quite love the TSX as it's potential replacement.

I have my EP3 as my daily and I use it when I NEED to for picking up the kids. In most situations we use the Mrs' Sienna. I had an RSX when my daughter was first born and having to put the carrier in its base was always a pain in the ass. I agree with all the comments here, first priority is the kid even if it means selling the EP3.
    FUNCTION > FORM www.autolife.tv

honestly i use my ep for picking my son up from day care pimarily, so i cant vouch that it is "not a pain" we have a pilot and it makes life easier, but to me not worth selling a car just for another set of doors.

Quote Originally Posted by ep3k20 View Post
    honestly i use my ep for picking my son up from day care pimarily, so i cant vouch that it is "not a pain" we have a pilot and it makes life easier, but to me not worth selling a car just for another set of doors.
    Agreed I DD the EP as well to pick up and drop off my son for day-care and I find it comfortable. He is a toddler, so I still have a booster seat for him. An extra set of doors would be nice just for the ease of access to the rear seats but thats all I find the extra doors useful for.

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    my kids are older, but going from an EP3 to a legacy gt was a good move for me. the EP3 was good when it was just me. it was impractical when it became me and 3.

I'm wondering how many parents use the EP as a daily driver with having kids, and how the 'experiance' is with it. Is it much of headache, or is it not so bad?
    I use my EP for a DD and I have no problem taking the kids anywhere with it. As far as Experience with kids and stuff, at first it was a little bit of a pain, but even with the one still being in a car seat it is really not that getting them in and out.

The best thing I can tell you is keep the car and find out how it works for you and your kid. You said he/she had special needs and things that go with it. After a few times of going out and everything that you have to bring. I'm sure you will make the choice if the EP needs to go or not.

Thanks for the testimonials everyone. I think I've kind of got a game plan.

As much as I love the car, I think that, in the end, it would be better for a 4door. However, I'm not going to set that in stone right away. I figure that, if I can sell the extra parts I just bought (yes, I know... it's a bummer), then I will either sell the car or trade it in on something else. If I can't sell the parts, I'll just keep it and make it work. I only say this because whatever I decide to do, is going to be the car I keep for a very extended amount of time.

Thanks again everyone, and like I said..parts will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested in some EDM stuff.

get the tsx, you'll be much happier

Quote Originally Posted by emsep View Post
    get the tsx, you'll be much happier
    Really? Why do you say that?

You're probably right. I've started thinking too; I'm a mid-twenty year old father now - I should find something more suitable for the next few upcoming years. A sports sedan, like the TSX 6spd, would fit the bill nicely as a more practical, yet still fun, daily driver. Besides, by the time I finish getting the parts I want/need for the EP, have it repainted, etc... I would spend the same, if not more, as getting a TSX anyway.

Stupid logic is going to make me get rid of my EP haha :-\
    Last edited by jjr007; 10-15-2008 at 06:16 PM.

I have a 4yr and 1 yr, and there's plenty of room and i dont have to bend over or work any harder getting the 1 yr in and out than in my girl's sonata. I can even stand in the back bent over, I cant do that in her car, and you say he has special needs, I dont know exactly what those are but you can fold down one rear seat and have tons of room for anything you need for him. And the space from the rear bumper to where they sit is the same as her 4 door sonata. I just use the passenger side for everything so that I never have to adjust my seat and can look back and see the baby and in the mirror to see the 4yr.

Thread Information